Feeding Corn Year Round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeding Corn Year Round?

Does anyone feed corn year round? Thinking about running 1 or 2 feeders on 40 acres. Advantages and disadvantages?

We have 6 feeders on our ranch that run year around. If you just have 40 acres I would just run 1 feeder.Advantages are endless and the disadvantages I can't think of any.
    Last edited by Rangefinder; 01-08-2017, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Just straight corn or can you feed anything else through a corn feeder?

Comment

I usually shut mine down when they run out in feb/march and crank them back up in July. They don't forget where the feeders are and will go to a new one in a day.

I don't think you can go wrong either way, honestly.

Comment

I keep all mine running but change the feed time and length they run after the season. I run them for 1-2 seconds three times per day and run them about an hour after dark, midnight and then about an hour before daylight. I run them year round to train the fawns to jump into the feed pens and any new bucks that have traveled in if we are getting very dry. If you can find roasted Soybeans, you might give them a try mixed with corn. When it gets to be late August I change them to feeding in the daylight times for archery season.

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter56 View Post
            I keep all mine running but change the feed time and length they run after the season. I run them for 1-2 seconds three times per day and run them about an hour after dark, midnight and then about an hour before daylight. I run them year round to train the fawns to jump into the feed pens and any new bucks that have traveled in if we are getting very dry. If you can find roasted Soybeans, you might give them a try mixed with corn. When it gets to be late August I change them to feeding in the daylight times for archery season.
            What's the benefit of running and hour before and hour after sunrise in the offseason? Will more bucks frequent if it's throwing while dark?

Comment

I don't run mine year round because I don't want any more hogs than I already have. In fact I think after mine are empty I'm taking them down and just plant my food plots and hand corn about twice a week starting in September.

Comment

Originally posted by Apretz View Post
                What's the benefit of running and hour before and hour after sunrise in the offseason? Will more bucks frequent if it's throwing while dark?
                After the season the older class bucks are moving better in those hours to feed around feeders. During the warmer/hotter months the older class bucks are not feeding till those times any way in most areas of Texas. Back in the early 90's when I first started using TC's I saw that most bucks were coming in after 10pm and gone before 5am in the late spring till early fall at protein feeders due to the heat. If feeding corn before dark in the same pens it was mainly does/fawns using it. (This was when the habitat was in good condition and not in a drought). You can train deer to feed before dark but for mature bucks(the one most are hunting for) IME it was better to feed them when they are moving normally. You are not making them nocturnal by doing this. If you run the corn feeder year round and they are raised/patterned eating under when it goes off, then it is nothing new to them. Many times deer appear to be nocturnal due to the fact they live off your land/lease or traveling to far to get to the feeder in the daylight. They are moving when it is cooler a lot of the time.

Comment

I run mine year round, throwing about 150# / wk

Comment

Only disadvantage is hogs. We feed protein and corn year round. Advantages are endless in my opinion. If I had 40 acres I'd set up one stand as close to the middle as I could and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter56 View Post
                      After the season the older class bucks are moving better in those hours to feed around feeders. During the warmer/hotter months the older class bucks are not feeding till those times any way in most areas of Texas. Back in the early 90's when I first started using TC's I saw that most bucks were coming in after 10pm and gone before 5am in the late spring till early fall at protein feeders due to the heat. If feeding corn before dark in the same pens it was mainly does/fawns using it. (This was when the habitat was in good condition and not in a drought). You can train deer to feed before dark but for mature bucks(the one most are hunting for) IME it was better to feed them when they are moving normally. You are not making them nocturnal by doing this. If you run the corn feeder year round and they are raised/patterned eating under when it goes off, then it is nothing new to them. Many times deer appear to be nocturnal due to the fact they live off your land/lease or traveling to far to get to the feeder in the daylight. They are moving when it is cooler a lot of the time.

Has doing this helped you any at all in Harvesting the mature bucks? I understand what your doing but I'm curious if there is any kind of advantage to that during season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Feeding year round is a plus. If hogs are an issue, I always recommend hog panel feed pens built extra large. Deer like room. As for shutting down after hunting season, is actually not the best thing to do. Even in Texas winter can stress the deer and additional food is always a good thing. 50/50 corn and protein through early spring can be beneficial. good luck.

Comment

Is too much corn bad for deer in any way?

Comment

No corn is not bad for a deer. Truth is corn is a filler with little to no nutritional benefit to deer. It basically falls into the category of attractant.

Comment

Will soybeans feed through a feeder easily?

Comment

Working...
                              X