Laguna Atascosa Archery Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dtapping-zombie View Post
    Hello... I also drew one, 11/25/2016 - 11/29/2016. Like to follow this thread. I'm also searching the threads to get information.
    I got drawn the same dates

Comment

my first time to hunt there , my dates 11-25 -11-29 , im tuned in for any info, and looks like im looking at maybe a fat tire bike with pull behind cart lol

Comment

Originally posted by ArcoCazador View Post
        my first time to hunt there , my dates 11-25 -11-29 , im tuned in for any info, and looks like im looking at maybe a fat tire bike with pull behind cart lol
        It seems like I've been calling the LANWR everyday lol... but today, Ranger Daniel was saying there are a lot of things that can puncture bike tires if not careful, and these are the ones he mentioned:
        • cat claw
        • hunting mesquite
        • ebony trees
        • grand canyo
        • all thorn
        • horse crippler cactus

Thus, it would be a good idea to have a solid rubber all-terrain tires on your game cart to pull the game out of the thickets. He did mentioned that the fold-able carts don't work well, with big games like a 700lb nilgai (if that's what you're planning to hunt).

For ticks and chiggers... used repellents with deet or permethrin.

Snake boots are a must. Snake guards would be ok, but I'm going full coverage with boots to provide protection around the toes/foot area from thorns and just in case a rattler nick my toes lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Dtapping-zombie View Post
          It seems like I've been calling the LANWR everyday lol... but today, Ranger Daniel was saying there are a lot of things that can puncture bike tires if not careful, and these are the ones he mentioned:
          • cat claw
          • hunting mesquite
          • ebony trees
          • grand canyo
          • all thorn
          • horse crippler cactus

Thus, it would be a good idea to have a solid rubber all-terrain tires on your game cart to pull the game out of the thickets. He did mentioned that the fold-able carts don't work well, with big games like a 700lb nilgai (if that's what you're planning to hunt).

For ticks and chiggers... used repellents with deet or permethrin.

Snake boots are a must. Snake guards would be ok, but I'm going full coverage with boots to provide protection around the toes/foot area from thorns and just in case a rattler nick my toes lol.
          great info ! thanks

Comment

dang I won 2 hunts ..........11-18 - 11-22 and 11-25-11-29

Comment

i was drawn for the general deer hunt Dec 16-18. do they assign you to a compartment like they do at the wildlife management area hunts or is it kinda first come first serve? just trying to understand how the process will work.

Comment

Can someone post up the number to the ranger station if possible ? Also, if anyone knows of any close motels or campgrounds post this info please .

Comment

I am also going to bring a bicycle. I've been wondering about the wider tires myself. I feel that they would help in the sandy soil, but I've also read that solid tubes in the tires are recommended to prevent having to walk a useless bicycle for miles on flats/ constantly fix flats.

Not sure if solid tubes are available for those wider types of bicycle tire but I would be interested in knowing cost/location if anyone has that information.

As far as a bicycle "trailer", I think a wagon will work. It may be a bit heavy and cumbersome. A game cart or travois on wheels should be lighter.

I'll be bringing a light weight game cart for use as a bicycle "trailer". I've also thought about throwing a set of wheels on my short ladder stand, which would work about the same as game cart.

Any previous LANWR "bicyclist" care to share their experience?

Comment

dang I won 2 hunts ..........11-18 - 11-22 and 11-25-11-29
                    Congrats! Which other hunt were you drawn for!?

Comment

Originally posted by Hydestik View Post
                      Can someone post up the number to the ranger station if possible ? Also, if anyone knows of any close motels or campgrounds post this info please .
                      Adolph Thomae Jr County park at the northwest side of LANWR. I'm fairly certain you can camp there.

Comment

Not too popular at LA but I've had great luck with rubles tires with sealant

Comment

Last edited by jakefromtx; 10-12-2016, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Hey, I drew the archery hunt on November 25th-29th. Any advice is appreciated on tripod, popup blind, carts, hotels, ect. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by hogdaddy View Post
                              Not too popular at LA but I've had great luck with rubles tires with sealant
                              Thanks for the tip, hogdaddy. Ill check it out.

Comment

Does anyone know of access roads, other than the FM106/Buena Vista roads that are available to access the refuge?

Does anyone know if accessing the refuge via boat is allowed?

Feel free to PM me

Comment

Working...
                                X