Feed Bins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feed Bins

For those of you with bulk feed bins on your ranches, I would like to hear your advise and experience. I am in the market for one for my place in South Texas.

I feed about 6 tons per month of protein and I am considering a 30 ton bin split down the middle. This will give me the option to use the other side for corn during the season or what not.

How long can I store protein? 3 months max is what I was once told, but wanted see what others have to say.

Feed bin

I could not function without the feed bin. Such a time and money saver. I shoot for about 3 months of protein storage at a time, but have never seen any hard data about protein effectiveness or efficacy if older than that. It does dry out more and ends up with a lot more powder, which I feel is a negative for the deer unless you have a great local water supply (tank or trough at every feed station). I agree shoot for the size that gets you through 2-3months at a time. I buy mine from Lyssy and Eckel and great job of delivering promptly with less than a weeks notice.

Comment

I have carried protein for 8-9 months with no noticable change in palatability or crumbling. We don't auger the feed so that helps drastically with powdering issues.

Comment

Originally posted by courtatlawjudge View Post
        I have carried protein for 8-9 months with no noticable change in palatability or crumbling. We don't auger the feed so that helps drastically with powdering issues.
        Was it stored in a bin? Did you use a blower to distribute it?

Comment

Do you feed the same feed in your pasture as you do your pen?? We have the 30 ton unit divided 3 ways. 10tons each container. Pasture feed, pen feed and corn. ALSO be sure and have a "BUCKET CHUTE" for the corn. Its a lot easier fililng the tailgate feeders with it. Best rule of thumb is fresher the protein the better. Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by FCTrapper View Post
            Do you feed the same feed in your pasture as you do your pen?? We have the 30 ton unit divided 3 ways. 10tons each container. Pasture feed, pen feed and corn. ALSO be sure and have a "BUCKET CHUTE" for the corn. Its a lot easier fililng the tailgate feeders with it. Best rule of thumb is fresher the protein the better. Good Luck

My breeder pens are all done by hand (pain in the butt), but we do use the same feed blend for pens/pasture. I don't like to run the blower/feed buggy near the pens. Too much opportunity for someone to go nuts....

The bucket chute will be a must have.

Thanks for the input...

Comment

One ranch we have a 14 ton split and 4.5 ton blower trailer, and the place we order from dilly feed and can get it within a 4 days always, and most the time that day or the next morning. the other ranch we have a 3 split 18 wheeler trailer..stay away!! pain in butt. there we feed 10 tons every 5 wks. we order from lyssy and eckle and can expect to wait 3 to 7 days for every order. I personally think the fresher the better, smaller bin = fresher loads of feed.

Comment

We have had protein go bad if the deer don't eat it all and we keep adding...it will go stale and they stop eating it....now we don't refill the feeder until it is completly empty....

Comment

We store it in a bin and then use a bucket shoot to tote it around in old syrup tubs. We fill an asortment of feeders. SOme covered troughs other bulk/creep type with down spouts./ Its real labor intensive, but unless it gets wet, we have never had deer quit on it. I'm looking for a wagon with a blower on it that I can pull behind a ranger or tractor.

Comment

Thanks for the input and advice. Just placed the order and should be here in 10 days or so.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X