Herbicides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Herbicides

Any of you guys use herbicides on food plots? Seems mine could be a lot more productive without so many weeds.

I think unclefish and jshouse use Glycophosphate.

Comment

Sure do!

I use Glyphosate (generic roundup) to nuke everything before I plant. You can also use a selective herbicide like Arrow (Clethodim) to kill grasses in a broadleaf plot like peas, beans, or clover. Or 2-4-D to kill broadleaf weeds in a cereal grain plot like corn, oats, or wheat.

Comment

Thanks...So what is the general process? Do you disc it up then nuke it, then plant it? How long do you wait between nuking and planting?

Comment

I assume u can spray Arrow once the peas are established and it will only kill the grasses?

Comment

We spray ours with Roundup (generic version) approx 2-3 weeks before we think we are going to plant. If they're still weeds in the field prior to planting I will spray it again then plant a day or 2 afterward.

Comment

There are lots of ways to kill a plot. You can spray and plant the same day if you are in a pinch for time. Glyphosate only affects growing plants and won't affect seeds at all.

FCTrapper's method works great because you get to kill weeds twice before your crop germinates. The key is to plant, kill weeds, and not disturb the soil again cause that will just introduce weeds.

I mix 2 quarts of Gly per 20-25 gallons of water/acre.

Yes EastTexasMan that's exactly right. Clethodim is not cheap though!

Comment

Working...
              X