Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cuz View Post
    EastTx,
    When do the deer eat the sunflowers? At what stage...
    The peas attach to the stalks and grow up them. It makes a very thick plot which shades out weeds and makes it hard for weeds to compete. They are planted more to help the peas than the deer. Deer will eat them in the seedling stage but after a couple of weeks they won't in my experience. They can also be wiped out by early browsing if they aren't protected.

Comment

Okra is great to plant with as well, gives peas something to climb on and deer love it. Plus the hotter it gets the faster it grows-

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post
        Okra is great to plant with as well, gives peas something to climb on and deer love it. Plus the hotter it gets the faster it grows-
        Interesting...I wonder what % protein okra is and where to buy bulk seed?

Tapachat

Comment

turner seed has okra in their spring mix, they probably have bulk.

Comment

Originally posted by cuz View Post
            i've been planting just cow peas. They grow great, the hogs don't fool with em and the deer devour them once they pod. Here inlays my problem, the peas are all gone within a few days. So i was thinking maybe i should be mixing in something else that will last longer. Clover, lablab typs stuff, something like that? I'm in a mostly sandy soil area. Sit beans don't do well.
            Thanks
            rain!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rando View Post
              rain!!!!
              Umm, thanks for your vast knowledge?

Comment

ttt

Comment

Originally posted by Cuz View Post
                  I understand what y'all are getting at. And the deer do destroy the peas when they pod. But my goal here is to plant something with is that is "ready" for the deer to eat either before or after the peas are ready.
                  It depends on the type of pea you plant. And rainfall and soil fertility/Ph.

Found out how many days it is suppose to take for your peas to mature and then research something else that matures in the same amount of days.

Comment

ttt

Comment

you could try running a protein feeder for a month or so while the plot is being established. it wont keep them from it but having something 24/7 may slow them down enough for some of the plants to take....thats what i am hoping for anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                        Here in La. I mix cow peas with grain sorghum. The sorghum protects the peas while they are young then as peas mature they climb the sorghum. Once the sorghum goes to grain then the deer eat the seed heads.
                        this works great for me in Gonzales cty

Comment

Working...
                        X