No brow tine bucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
    Due to my computer technological limitations, I couldn't figure out how to link only the article on the topic. However, it is on this list. Additionally, any deer hunter will find a plethora of wonderful and interesting info on deer stuff.

The study I assume Texashunter is refering to was initially lead by Miss State University and included deer populations from Miss, Okla, and S TX.
    Thanks for the link. I'm always looking for evidence based deer management literature. After finding academic research, you've got to dissect it critically and not just take it for face value.

I will definitely read it this weekend.

Comment

I wouldn't shoot them younger than 3.5 like most other have said.

Comment

We wait till 3.5 to cull the slicks. If no brow tines, or little nubs by then, we cull.

Comment

I would shoot them!!!

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter56 View Post
            Here is a link to a recap of some studies done in 3 states...
            http://www.tecomate.com/content/inde...g_whom_part_ii
            This summary states that culling is ineffective on free range deer herds

It also states that deer are not breeding high numbers of doe per buck, but that 70% of the breeding is done by 3.5yo deer or greater.

I've been told before that it is almost impossible to impact the genetics of free range deer, and I do believe that.

Comment

I still need to read some of Topoftexas articles he provided a link for, but I'd rather use my tags to kill mature bucks, whether cull or trophy and with minuscule impacts on the population, I'd rather let age take precedence and to this point I'm not finding anything against that concept.

Comment

Originally posted by Map My Ranch View Post
                We wait till 3.5 to cull the slicks. If no brow tines, or little nubs by then, we cull.
                That makes sense!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
                  I still need to read some of Topoftexas articles he provided a link for, but I'd rather use my tags to kill mature bucks, whether cull or trophy and with minuscule impacts on the population, I'd rather let age take precedence and to this point I'm not finding anything against that concept.
                  Couldn't agree more. Get as many bucks as you can make it to the 6-8 yr old age class and kill them then. Most people would shouldermount and show off the bucks that are getting "culled" at 2-3yrs old if they would be allowed to get to the 6-8 yr old age class.

Comment

Will be talking to our group and hopefully everyone will agree on only taking at least 5.5 bucks with the exception of any 3.5 bucks that are less than 8 points

Comment

From some of the stuff I've read, the no brow tines are a genetic trait just like split G2's or something. I think it's a personal preference honestly, but if they are older than 3 1/2 I'd cull em. If you got a bunch of em though, you prolly got a big someplace with no brows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by butler145 View Post
                        I passed a young 10 point this year thinking he would get bigger and better next year. well now just found out we are off the lease next year. and haven't got a buck this year. wish I wouldn't of passed him to let him grow

That's rough right there. It happened to us in Sonora a few years back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by butler145 View Post
                          I passed a young 10 point this year thinking he would get bigger and better next year. well now just found out we are off the lease next year. and haven't got a buck this year. wish I wouldn't of passed him to let him grow
                          Ahh the old south Texas turn around, you do the right thing and spend your money, and when you finally get to big deer some one sticks you in more ways than one ! Take pride in that you left that place better then you got it

Comment

Just by reading this seems like guys that have family long term land or good long term lease in south Texas let them live longer.just my opinion. We hunted a small place in north Texas and we are trying to manage well. Only took one deer this year but would have taken two if we woulda saw "no tines".

Comment

Working...
                            X