Bow Fishing??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow Fishing??

Any one on here bow fish as well? Looking to give it a shot, and have some advice on whats a good route to take for a newbie set up or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

I haven't done it in years. It was a blast. I used a 35# recurve and never had any problems with penetration. I fished with a guy who used his compound and he would shoot through some fish and loose arrows from time to time from the scales cutting his line. If you want a cheep rig I hose clamped an 808 Zebco to a 6" bolt in the stabilizer threads with 60# test. Worked for me for many years.

Comment

Ive been looking at a PSE Madd Dawg set up(i think thats name) its a compound. I live on Lake Corpus Christi and I always see carp or gar right on top in the lights. Also i do alot of shark fishing from the surf and my favorite bait is a cownose ray, they are always seen right on top of the water in the bays. That would be an easy way to harvest them!!

Comment

I suggested the pse mudd dog to a newbie friend last year ( I prefer recurve, but thought this would be easier for him)
        Super impressed with that bow!

Add a muzzy reel and reel seat and done. I HATE AMS. I'd rather poke the line in my pocket than fight that slow, plastic, junk of $&@% ever again
        Last edited by Low Fence; 03-17-2018, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
          I suggested the pse mudd dog to a newbie friend last year ( I prefer recurve, but thought this would be easier for him)
          Super impressed with that bow!

Add a muzzy reel and reel seat and done. I HATE AMS. I'd rather poke the line in my pocket than fight that slow, plastic, junk of $&@% ever again
          Lol well I literally dont have much knowledge of the sport at all so any info is well appreciated. Ive been watching youtube videos and the urge is growing more and more to go!!

Comment

AMS retriever is a great reel and trouble free for a beginner. Can always try A spinner if you stick with sport.

Comment

Use the search button on here......tons of stuff for you!!! GarGuy and a few others on here really get it done year in and year out!!!
              I have a 6'3" and looking for 7'5" plus this spring!

Comment

I guide south of Dallas for gator gar,carp,talapia, went on a quick trip last night and carp are moved up. I shoot onieda now and ams tourney retriever. The reel is much simpler unless you plan to shoot the river or lake for big gator gar. Of course some guys use them but just more about personal preference. Any old bow of recurve can get the job done. It’s a great sport and like anything can get costly lol.

Comment

Well think im gonna close the deal on a PSE mudd dawg with ams bottle style reel, gonna give it a go!! Ill post some pics if i have any luck lol

Comment

Originally posted by Little Long View Post
                    Well think im gonna close the deal on a PSE mudd dawg with ams bottle style reel, gonna give it a go!! Ill post some pics if i have any luck lol
                    Get after it!!!

Comment

Try the Genesis Cuda Kit. Fairly cheap and fully set up

Comment

Good luck! If you get that compound, make sure you keep the poundage as low as you can. You don't need a lot of poundage on a bowfishing bow. I shot clean thru a 7'-7" gator gar with a 35# old '60's vintage recurve. What is important is that you be able to draw and shoot quickly (snap shooting). If you can't come to full draw with that compound almost instantly, you'll be severely handicapped. With a recurve, you can half draw it, or partially draw and shoot. Same with the Oneida's.. they operate like a recurve.

For safety reasons, especially since your're a newby, ALWAYS use an AMS Safety slide on your arra too. Just Google bowfishing snapbacks and you'll see why. The slide will keep the string always in front of the string/cables on your bow.

Good luck and post up some DFP's (Dedd Fish Pics)
                        Last edited by SaltwaterSlick; 03-19-2018, 10:59 AM. Reason: tnik fingerz

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                          Good luck! If you get that compound, make sure you keep the poundage as low as you can. You don't need a lot of poundage on a bowfishing bow. I shot clean thru a 7'-7" gator gar with a 35# old '60's vintage recurve. What is important is that you be able to draw and shoot quickly (snap shooting). If you can't come to full draw with that compound almost instantly, you'll be severely handicapped. With a recurve, you can half draw it, or partially draw and shoot. Same with the Oneida's.. they operate like a recurve.

For safety reasons, especially since your're a newby, ALWAYS use an AMS Safety slide on your arra too. Just Google bowfishing snapbacks and you'll see why. The slide will keep the string always in front of the string/cables on your bow.

Good luck and post up some DFP's (Dedd Fish Pics)

Thanks for the info! Supposedly these PSE mudd dawg bows are designed for snap shooting similar to a recurve. Only reason i didnt go recurve is the shorter style bow will be a lot more convenient in the boat ill be in.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampyMarsh View Post
                            Try the Genesis Cuda Kit. Fairly cheap and fully set up

I already placed my order this morning for the PSE mudd dawg, itll be delivered this coming Friday but i wont even get back home from work till a week from Wednesday

Comment

the AMS bottle reel is great for large fish i prefer the muzzy or the zebco 808 the bottle can be a little slow for fast shooting and seems to get knotts for a lot of repeat shooting, but you cannot beat it for 20 pound fish,where are you at i will P.M you on some good spots. any low poundage bow will work 35 pounds or less to 20 pounds,i shoot a recurve at 40 and love it the P.S.E. OR BARNETT have great bowfishing choices i have one of each for geusts,do not scrimp on your arrows or your line,use a slider on your arrows always press release button.lots of fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X