Keg Jig Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keg Jig Question

I’m making a bench using 1X4 boards standing on their sides with 2X4s as the border. I’ll be screwing the 1X4s to the 2X4 border using a kreg jig. I’m trying to figure out what thickness setting to use. When I go 1.5 the screws come out of the sides of the 1X4s and when I use the 1” setting it looks good but I want to be double sure there’ll be enough material for the screws to hold onto (of the 1X4) before I put it together. Any veteran kreg jig users have some experience you’d like to share?

I always use a scrap piece of my board I’m screwing through. I put a screw through and see how much is going into the other board. After I glue then use the screws, I haven’t had any issues yet.

Comment

I am no real help here. I will echo RileyDog - test with a scrap. Also, I have (most of the time) just gone by the depth gauge recommendations for depth / screw length on the jig itself. Good luck. KJ

Comment

Hey man.....a 1X4 is only 3/4" thick. You might want to try that adjustment. I am not in my shop but seems like their is a guide on the jig itself or a card, that came in the box. Also don't use an impact driver when driving the screws it will push em through.

Comment

Set the jig to the thickness of the board the screws are going thru and use the correct length screws. If not clear Google is your friend.

Comment

Duh

I had tried the 3/4” setting but it went too far in. Then after looking at these responses I realized that like a dummy I’d forgotten to change the setting on the drill bit. I’ll report back on the results.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
              I had tried the 3/4” setting but it went too far in. Then after looking at these responses I realized that like a dummy I’d forgotten to change the setting on the drill bit. I’ll report back on the results.
              That oughtta get you there! Haha done that myself too

Comment

Don't feel bad. I did the same thing but from 3/4" to 11/2". I think the Kreg is a great device. My biggest issue is the little bit of slip I get causing me to have un-even edges. I have the "peg" style vice grips but still happening. If anyone knows what I am doing wrong please let me know.

P.S. buy your pocket hole screws from eBay. I bought em buy the pound for much less than the actual Kreg screws.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                  Don't feel bad. I did the same thing but from 3/4" to 11/2". I think the Kreg is a great device. My biggest issue is the little bit of slip I get causing me to have un-even edges. I have the "peg" style vice grips but still happening. If anyone knows what I am doing wrong please let me know.

P.S. buy your pocket hole screws from eBay. I bought em buy the pound for much less than the actual Kreg screws.
                  I might be misunderstanding but it sounds like your bit is dull. I was having the same issue with slippage and when I got a new bit it stopped. Don't think their bit is of the best quality to begin with, I've been through 5-6 of them over the years.

Comment

Had Some Time

OK, so the 3/4" setting worked when I remembered to change the setting on the drill bit as well. I used a couple scrap pieces to check them 1st:

Then I went ahead and started my bench but quickly realized that with the spacing I'm using I won't be able to fit my drill bit adapter between the boards to attach it to my columns after building the bench.

This is one of the columns the bench will go between. Although I have exposed brick for the bench to sit on, I still want to attach the bench to the columns with concrete anchors for extra support.

Now my plan was to use glue and screws to attach the 1X4s to the frame of the bench while sitting on the concrete floor in my storage (I'm not rich enough for a shop) to keep the 1X4s flush with the frame. But since I can't fit that adapter in-between the slots to attach after building, I'll have to build the bench after first attaching the frame to the columns. I feel like this will make it difficult to use glue. The only solution I could think of was maybe to attach a 1X4 to the bottom of the frame to keep the others flush. Any suggestions?
                    Last edited by donpablo; 08-08-2019, 09:54 PM.

Comment

You could cut a piece of the bottom of one or two of the 1x4s where they attach to the 2x4 where you are going to attach it to the column to give you enough clearance to attach it. It would be on the bottom and never seen.

Comment

Originally posted by ruger41 View Post
                        You could cut a piece of the bottom of one or two of the 1x4s where they attach to the 2x4 where you are going to attach it to the column to give you enough clearance to attach it. It would be on the bottom and never seen.
                        That may actually be my best bet because I just realized I'm not going to have room to screw in the other side of the frame if I build while attached.

I'll have to think about it. Maybe I should just attach it to the exposed brick?

Comment

That may actually be my best bet because I just realized I'm not going to have room to screw in the other side of the frame if I build while attached.

I'll have to think about it. Maybe I should just attach it to the exposed brick?
                          Ok, brain fart again. If I make sure that I attach the back side of the frame last, I can screw it in from the other side (since I cut the 2X4s at 45 degrees). I think I’m just gonna build it while attached. I have a piece I can screw onto the bottom and as long as I set it back from the frame end I can keep from getting glue on it. Then when I’m done I can remove the extra piece. I’ll post pics when I’m done but it’ll probably have to wait ‘till next weekend.

Comment

Finally got around to making this:

Comment

Working...
                            X