Arrow questions and a request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow questions and a request

I know there are some guys on here who know everything there is to know or at least way more than me about arrows. What I am wondering is how do you figure out the correct spine for your setup?

Some people use 3 fletchings and some 4, some use different sizes and all that. How do you decide which would generally be best for your setup without actually buying all the stuff, making arrows and trying it?

Most arrows have 3 fletchings on them. Two are one color and the other (cock vane) is a different color. In what instances do you need to have that and does it always have to be up? How important is it to align your fletchings with a fixed blade broadhead, or is it at all?

I did the write up at the top that's a sticky for relfetching arrows. Is there anybody on here who is very knowledgeable in arrow building who could do a writeup on building arrows? Maybe put a few different combinations in there and what makes you decide on those combinations of arrow, length, broadhead and fletchings. I'd really appreciate it and I'm sure there are plenty of others who would as well.

Oh, and anybody feel free to chime in if you have answers to the above questions or add to the list of questions also.

Comment

Fletching number and size is most often a personal preference. Size may make a difference in accuracy of broad head.
      Getting the spine right is more important. Under spined or over spined shafts will group broad heads poorly at best.
      I have access to different shafts and can play more than most. You can go to the manufacturers charts to get close. You need to decide what poundage you want to pull, what your draw length is, and if your cam is soft are hard. There are many varitions you can use with most shafts.
      Cut them long with lighter front components and shoot fast or cut them shorter with heavier components for more energy.
      I have two bows set up now with the same shafts. 300 spine golt tips. My Chill R at 57 pounds and my Creed at 62 pounds. The softer cam on the creed needs more poundage to keep the spine right.
      I have found the best way to set the spine of a shaft is to set the rest in center shot and shoot through paper with a bare shaft with the weight point I intend to hunt with.
      I start with the shaft longer than reccommended and cut it off till I get a bullet hole.
      Contact me if you would like to visit and run some tests.

Comment

Old Killer pretty much nailed it. The only thing I would add is to err on the side of being overspined rather than underspined.

Comment

Working...
        X