Savage Axis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Savage Axis

Just became the proud owner of a Savage Axis 223 Remington today.

By the manufacturer description, I thought I would be cutting the 22" barrel to 18" but it seems compact enough for me. Give you a range report when I get the bases (Ordered some 1-piece multi-slot weaver bases from Cabela's) and scope installed .. Then to the Range.

Just spent the last 45 minutes cleaning the factory grease & oils off ..

It is a pretty good economy grade rifle. I changed the stock(Boyd's) on mine and cut 1.5 rings off the trigger spring. That made the trigger a whole lot better. My rifle loves the 50 gr v max. If your gonna hunt with it I'd recommend the 64gr fusion load.
    Good luck and enjoy.

Comment

There’s a pretty cool, easy fix for the trigger someone posted on the Green screen. Like $15 to fix the crappy trigger.

Comment

Just got the Base in the mail yesterday ... So this weekend it's Scope mounting time.

Plus just sent in a rebate for possibly getting $ 100 from Savage .. That makes a $279 .. $ 179 .. Can't beat that ..

Comment

I bought the same gun and put a Vortex on it last year, all for under $500 for a varmint gun around the ranch. The trigger sucks, but that's a simple fix!

Comment

Be confident that the rifle is accurate. It is economy priced and yes the trigger bites. But there is a fix for that. I won this rifle in a raffle and didn't think much of it until I shot it and it grouped very well with 50gr V Max. I put a few dollars into it and it is one of my favs to take afield. Boyds stock in Pepper, EGW base, Warne rings and a Leupold Rifleman scope in 3-9x40.
            Axis on Top, Mossberg MVP bottom. Axis .223 chamber, Mossberg 5.56 chamber. Good luck with yours.
            126 by Tony Pic, on Flickr

Comment

Got a Bushnell Trophy (Bone Collector) XLT 3-9 x 40 that is a Take-Off I'll probably put on it this weekend. Sure do miss a Pentax Gamseeker II 1.5 - 6X I sold a LONG time ago ..

I'll evaluate the trigger when I go to the Range and get familiar with it. The Youtube fix is OK but got a Gunsmith Friend that works in my Office (Owes me a favor ... Lol).

Comment

Originally posted by TCB View Post
                There’s a pretty cool, easy fix for the trigger someone posted on the Green screen. Like $15 to fix the crappy trigger.
                Here the link to my post, http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...Savage+trigger

You can just cut a bit of the spring, but this was cheap enough, simple and reduced trigger over travel

Comment

Playa .. Thanks a Bunch. Just purchased one on eBay for $15 ... Seems a LOT better and probably cheaper than a Gunsmith or voiding the factory warranty to cut the spring ...

Comment

Looked at getting the barrel cut & crowned to 18" ... NOT ! the price range at the Gunsmith's I trust are ... $ 120 -200 .. DANG ! Last time I got my Mauser Barrel cut to 20" was $ 40 .. Only 6 years ago ... Wow Inflation..

Compared the overall length to my 20" barrel Mauser 308 Win ... The Same .. Keeping it the same length !

But ordered a trigger Kit off of that eBay guy mentioned above..

Comment

Working...
                    X