Anyone ever hand hewn logs or beams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever hand hewn logs or beams?

I am going to make a light for over my bar with an 5'x8"x8" cedar beam and am wanting to hew the wood. Any one ever used an adze before? Should I use a straight edge or curved? Any advice I could get would be appreciated. Is there a tool like a hammer or such I could use instead of buying an actual adze and get the same effect?

No one?

Comment

I recommend a straight adze for a project like that. Are you going to go all the way through or just make a valley down the middle? If you lived closer, you could borrow all my primitive tools...

Comment

Nope but I’m in. YouTube is your friend.

-------------------------------
        Violence never settles anything
        -Genghis Kahn

Comment

Would this work?
          Attached Files

Comment

Not as well, but if you sharpen it you can probably make it work.
            Out of the common tools at a hardware store I'd probably opt for a small sledge hammer and a nice big chisel.

Comment

Do an Internet search for The Woodwright's Shop or look for it on youtube. I think the guy's name is Roy Underhill. He had a show on PBS for years. He was from NC maybe and never used power tools.

I think he had an adz that was heavy and longer handle than what you show. Got it good and sharp, straddled the log and worked his way by swinging like a pendulum. You might want to wear boots
              Last edited by 18ncs; 10-12-2017, 04:24 PM.

Comment

lookup spoke-shaver or draw knives.
                lots of work but lots of satisfaction.

Comment

Let us see before and after

Comment

The first episode I watched will help you. I am ready to come by for a beer when you get it done. Good luck!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                    X