Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Ever Axis

So this just happened.....

Sitting in the blind this morning I had 6-8 whitetails easing around eating. A couple axis had walked in and one of them was a pretty big one, but then there was this guy. You could tell he was old and on the down slope of his years.

This being my first axis I felt like it would be special to take an older buck that was on the decline. He’s not a huge axis by any means and I understand that he’s not a trophy to most, but to me he’s special. These are the memories that I cherish and what drives me to sit in the stand for hours on end.

BOOM! He ran approximately 30 yards and piled up. This may not be special to most people, but the next paragraph is what makes it special to me.

Before my grandmother, passed away she had my parents bring me to see her in the hospital. She told my parents that she had something to give me. As a normal little boy I hoped that it was a dump truck or a cool toy, not realizing the magnitude of this situation. When I got to the hospital she told me that she was going to leave me her 30-30. What? A STUPID GUN?? ARE YOU SERIOUS?? I wanted a toy!!

Fast forward to now, I wouldn’t take any amount of money in the world for this old, tattered, rusted in spots tack driving 49 year old relic. This rifle isn’t worth much to a lot of people, but to me it has more sentimental value and memories than you can imagine. The first Marlin 30-30 was made in 1870 and in 1970 there were only so many of them produced. Those rifles had a gold plated coin in the stock that made it the “Centennial Model” with the two dates engraved on the coin. (See Pic). I’m so proud to own this rifle!

The chimney that these pictures were taken in front of was built in 1880, making this a more special moment. Thanks to Joe Robinette, my land owner for the opportunity to hunt his property.

I hope that I’ve done my grandmother justice by still using her rifle and killing my first ever axis with the “toy” that she left in my protection.
    Attached Files

Nice story and congrats to you. Trophies are in the eye of the beholder. All that matters is YOUR happy.
    That is a nice Axis. Congrats again

Comment

That’s awesome! Congratulations on the Axis and love that gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats on your first. That'll eat good

Comment

Congrats! Lots of memories in that post, new and old.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Love the story!

Comment

That’s awesome! Great story, congratutions!

Comment

Great story. Congratulations

Comment

Nice axis great rifle I collect Marlin’s I have several with the 1870-1970 medallion

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats. I would rather a spike with a good story than a p & y.

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Great story and write up. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the Axis should be some fine eating.

Comment

Congrats!!

Comment

Great moment and memory! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Working...
                              X