Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shaft Selection Suggestions

Guys,

I'm setting up a 62" Hoyt Buffalo @ 55lbs. According to Easton's Shaft Selector its putting me at a 0.340 spine. I haven't got a measurement for arrow length but it will be around 30 inches. I'm thinking about going with a 340 Full Metal Jacket what do you guys think? This is my first serious recurve to set up. Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by Aggiehunter08; 12-19-2013, 11:50 AM.

Ttt

Comment

I shoot 340 axis out of my 54# and 57# recurve and Longbow @27" I cut them at 30" and put a 100gr brass insert w 150gr point. they fly nice out of both bows. hope that helps

Comment

fmj are allright it will be a heavy arrow with 250gr up front.

Comment

Originally posted by BowBuddy View Post
          fmj are allright it will be a heavy arrow with 250gr up front.
          I plan on shooting 125 grain broadheads. How much difference does the 100 grain insert make? Thanks for your help.

Comment

The combination is up to you. . I'd think you'd need more then 125 up front on those to get them right and your overall weight will be up there I assume. At 11.3gpi you'll end up 510gr w/125 or 635 w/250. I'd think .400 if your going the 125 route and trim to length then stack tip weight if needed
            Last edited by jreyna920; 12-19-2013, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jreyna920 View Post
              The combination is up to you. The shafts are heavy. Even in spine maybe. I'd think you'd need more then 125 up front on those to get them right and your overall weight will be up there I assume. I don't know the specifics on those shafts but I'd bet they are heavy
              Ok looks like I need to go with a lighter arrow.

Comment

Easton Axis 340

No, I think you are on the right path.

I cant get the picture to come up but I put the following into the Stu Miller Spine Calculator and this is what I got:

Easton Axis FMJ .340 30 inches 175 grain point, 50 grain brass insert (Yes for footed and enter .1 for length and 50 under that for weight, do not enter anything for insert weight column with HIT inserts since they are a footed insert) nock weight 10 grains and 3x5" Shield Feathers=Dynamic Spine of 65.2#

Generic Recurve 55 pounds 28 inch draw length Center Cut "0" (debateable but still close enough) 14 strand FF string=Dynamic Spine of 65.1#

584 grains Total weight of arrow, 10.6 grains per pound, FOC 17.7%, 178 FPS and 41.1 ft-lbs of energy.

This may not be perfect but it is close enough to show you that it is a very workable combination. I would not want anything lighter. I shoot a 500 spine FMJ with 50 grain insert and 125 grain point at 29.5 inches out of a 43#Hoyt Dorado with TT BM limbs and an 8 strand SBD string. Leaving the arrow long, having a heavy point, high performance string and a heavy insert cuts down on the spine a lot. I think you are right where you need to be.

Comment

Working...
                X