Nearly had Super Slam Saturday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nearly had Super Slam Saturday

First trip to Laguna, post Harvey. Scored Flounder, Specks and Redfish which is the traditional SLAM but.......Super Slam is Tarpon and or Snook and Platinum Slam is Flounder, Speck, Redfish, Snook & Tarpon in the same day.

Well I got 3 jumps out of my tarpon Saturday, after scoring the traditional Slam. Got into a cut between spoil islands full of mullet (bulls and fingerlings). Sight casting redfish in sandy water about 2ft or less deep, fishing silently from the boat. Fan casting shoreline with Gold Spoon - hooked up hard, line pour off the reel - thought "Oversized Redfish - fun stuff." At around 20 yards it jumped two times - about 35 - 38 inches - baby Tarpon.

Now I'm focused seriously LOL! Get it 15ft from the boat, comes straight up, mouth wide open, standing on it's tail shaking it's darn head and TOSSES my spoon right back at me.

Made a second cast immediately to the same spot - another hard hook up for just a few seconds before that fish came unbuttoned before making a jump. Pulled and shook like the first poon but, never got visual of the 2nd fish.

In hindsite - I should have fed this little poon some line and let it leap away, bowing and giving arms as it danced to points, it would wear down long enough to stay down and pull. I had it hooked well and that extra line length with stretch and slack would have helped keep the hook tight. All was great at 20 yards - enough line out to give and keep things buttoned up. Flying a kite on a short string - it's another ball game. Wanted to get that little guy into the net for a release and just brain farted with a green poon.

So darn close to a Super Slam. I'll get it and or Platinum one day. I'll burn a week or two off in Port Mansfield or Port Isabel to do it...during prime time. It's prime time right now.

Just kept one fish......kind of hard to not keep a flatty. This one was big enough to filet top and bottom - wonderful eating!

Headed offshore tomorrow for a couple of days. Swordfish, Barrel fish, Tile fish, Grouper and Yellowfin are the targeted species in deep water. With a stop or two around a few shrimp boats for Blackfin tuna, Ling and Mahi on the way back in.

Nice report...

Comment

Nice write up. Good luck offshore!

Comment

Way to go Rob, congrats on a great trip! Best of luck tomorrow and please share some pics of your trip!

Comment

Nice report Mr.

Comment

Great write up! Bet that was exciting too! Hooked up like that at the Chandeleur's one time... Don't care how hard you jerk, next to impossible to stick a hook in all that armor plating around that bucket mouth!! Also next to impossible for me to "bow down" too!! In my case, I had the drag wrenched down tight... we were in some bull reds and I was using spider-wire... could not get it backed off quick enough... mine lasted 2 jumps, but that was only about 30 seconds I think...

Comment

Nice!!!!

Comment

Sounds like a return trip is called for!

Comment

That's awesome. What about Croaker, aren't they part of a slam?

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
                    First trip to Laguna, post Harvey. Scored Flounder, Specks and Redfish which is the traditional SLAM but.......Super Slam is Tarpon and or Snook and Platinum Slam is Flounder, Speck, Redfish, Snook & Tarpon in the same day.

Well I got 3 jumps out of my tarpon Saturday, after scoring the traditional Slam. Got into a cut between spoil islands full of mullet (bulls and fingerlings). Sight casting redfish in sandy water about 2ft or less deep, fishing silently from the boat. Fan casting shoreline with Gold Spoon - hooked up hard, line pour off the reel - thought "Oversized Redfish - fun stuff." At around 20 yards it jumped two times - about 35 - 38 inches - baby Tarpon.

Now I'm focused seriously LOL! Get it 15ft from the boat, comes straight up, mouth wide open, standing on it's tail shaking it's darn head and TOSSES my spoon right back at me.

Made a second cast immediately to the same spot - another hard hook up for just a few seconds before that fish came unbuttoned before making a jump. Pulled and shook like the first poon but, never got visual of the 2nd fish.

In hindsite - I should have fed this little poon some line and let it leap away, bowing and giving arms as it danced to points, it would wear down long enough to stay down and pull. I had it hooked well and that extra line length with stretch and slack would have helped keep the hook tight. All was great at 20 yards - enough line out to give and keep things buttoned up. Flying a kite on a short string - it's another ball game. Wanted to get that little guy into the net for a release and just brain farted with a green poon.

So darn close to a Super Slam. I'll get it and or Platinum one day. I'll burn a week or two off in Port Mansfield or Port Isabel to do it...during prime time. It's prime time right now.

Just kept one fish......kind of hard to not keep a flatty. This one was big enough to filet top and bottom - wonderful eating!

Headed offshore tomorrow for a couple of days. Swordfish, Barrel fish, Tile fish, Grouper and Yellowfin are the targeted species in deep water. With a stop or two around a few shrimp boats for Blackfin tuna, Ling and Mahi on the way back in.

Wow all around. We need to get you a head-mounted GoPro.

Comment

Funny, Saturday I had a trout, red, and a black drum. I was thinking, if I catch a flounder what kinda slam would it be??? LOL Nice job!!

Comment

LOL! Thanks! Yes I should wear my GoPro but I'll need a bag of batteries to cover the time I fish. Sunup to sundown - If I get on the water, I go all darn day.

That's awesome. What about Croaker, aren't they part of a slam?
                        Yes Uncle Saggy - Croaker, Hardhead and Piggy Perch = Curt Slam! Add a Skipjack and Gafftop and that's the Platinum Curt Slam! On lures.......too LOL!

Comment

I'll run a recap report after we return to Port from this week's offshore trip.

Comment

This guy sounds like a serious fisherman. I'm jealous, as I only fish 'bout 6 times per year. I save all my free time for hunting season.

Comment

Heck of a day on the water, nice work

Comment

Working...
                              X