Any "treasure" hunters here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any "treasure" hunters here?

Do any of y'all like finding old bottles,glass insulators or those old mason jar lids like they used back in the day? Not necessarily those particular things but antiques I guess is what I'm trying to say. I don't know how many old bottles I've found while I was out huntin,liked the looks of them or the color of them and brought them home. Those and glass insulators I pick up all the time. Kind of weird I suppose but I think they're cool.

I couldn't tell you what some of the bottles I've found had in them or anything like that or how old they are. I found a green bottle way out in the sandhills in the middle of nowhere the other day. That's what made me think to ask the question. I carried that thing a long ways back to the truck. For what?......Uhhhhh.....Yeah I don't know.lol

Comment

My Mimi started me on that since I was a kid. I always keep an eye out for treasures when running around in the woods. I always give her my findings but I enjoy doing it.

Comment

I don't go out specifically searching for stuff but I do enjoy finding really old stuff while out in the woods.

Comment

Everybody makes fun of me when I break out the metal detector. Friends just bought a property that Santa Anna camped at south of Houston. A small part was excavated a few years ago. Ill be head south real soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Peacock View Post
            My Mimi started me on that since I was a kid. I always keep an eye out for treasures when running around in the woods. I always give her my findings but I enjoy doing it.
            My grandma used to take me out to old farm houses around where she grew up when I was little and we'd look for "treasures"....I guess that's how I got started on it.

......I miss those days. Oh man, I'm gettin a little choked up. Not gonna lie.

Comment

I think it's pretty interesting as well. At the ranch, we have a table in the corner of the living room for all the stuff we've found in the sand. Only nails, clothes iron, a couple cool buttons, etc.

Comment

Nothing like pulling a old coin or ring out of the ground that has been there 100 years. Use to do a whole lot of it. Morgan's Point was great for bottles back in the day.

Comment

If I find an old home site or dump I'm pretty much going to be there all day lol.

Comment

Originally posted by armadillophil View Post
                    Everybody makes fun of me when I break out the metal detector. Friends just bought a property that Santa Anna camped at south of Houston. A small part was excavated a few years ago. Ill be head south real soon.
                    There are some really cool things you can find with a metal detector. Where my grandpa grew up he's found a button off of a soldiers jacket,lots of arrowheads and one of his buddies found a buffalo nickel just laying on the grass. I guess the moisture had brought it to the surface I don't know. He said it was almost like someone had just dropped it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
                      If I find an old home site or dump I'm pretty much going to be there all day lol.
                      It is neat to look around places like that. I've got Coke,Pepsi,Mountain Dew and a Frostie Root Beer bottle I drug back to the house that I found in a trash pit. One Pepsi bottle is really cool the glass is like spiraled up towards the neck of the bottle. They're probably not all that old (60's or 70's) maybe. But they're still cool.lol

I suppose some of those vintage bottles are worth something to a collector but I don't know. Eventually I'm gonna be like one of those people on American Pickers if I don't figure something out. I can see where collecting old stuff can get out of control. I'll have junk stacked everywhere.
                      Last edited by okrattler; 01-15-2018, 10:01 AM.

Comment

If I find a bottle that has any markings on it what so ever I will take it back and try to find the date of manufacture.

Comment

I like finding old ammunition boxes,whiskey bottles or tobacco products. My grandpa has some really old snuff jars from way back when. I'm probably making myself sound like a pack rat or trashy but if stuff like that is in good condition it's awesome to find it.

Comment

Guy that worked for me found a 40K diamond ring. Got his pic in some T.H.Mag. found thing every outing. But he knew where to look.

Comment

That's awesome! If I tried to sell the things I've found I have a pretty good idea of how the conversation would go. "I'll give you 20 dollars for all of it."....lol

Comment

Working...
                              X