Second LongBeard with a Bow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second LongBeard with a Bow.

I arrived in Cotulla last Wednesday, April 7th, at around 6 PM. I just had time to set up a pop-up. Scouted a little. I thought I was on some birds. Thursday morning, I was in the blind way before daylight. As the sun started up, I heard turkeys, hens and Toms. I called. The toms answered. Everyone flew down............Not another word. All the turkeys went off somewhere.. I set there until around ten. Nothing. So I got out and went to check some feeders for tracks/scrathings. I found a feeder with a lot of turkey sign. I set up a second blind there. I went there Friday morning. I had a tom right on top of me, probably 40-50 yards. He gobbled big time on the roost. Flew down and Gone.. Gary(LeonHogBoy) and Todd(rtarcher) arrived and we hog/javi hunted Friday afternoon. (See LeonHogBoys video in the video section).

Saturday morning, Gary went to the second blind that I had set up and I went back to my first set-up. Todd had to go home for his Son's T-Ball game. As it gets light, there are two Toms gobbling on the roost.(No hens), I AM EXCITED. They fly down and answer me a coupla times, then shut up.. I'm thinking what have I got to do. After about 10 minutes of silience. Then, I see a fan strutting off to the West. The last I heard them, they were South. Anyway....I have a decoy hen set up. The Tom is strutting hard at the hen. I draw, shoot, and miss the vitals. I think I cut a few feathers off of the fan. The Tom jumps......And strutts again. I know.....That is unheard of, but it happened. I get another arrow and draw. By this time, the Tom is walking away. I shoot him in the butt at about 25 yards. Better to be lucky than good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ronniebowgobbler1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	24803322

Great story... Congrats

Comment

Congrats. I got my first turkey with a bow a couple of weeks ago and it is addicting.

Comment

You did a Texas heart shot on him. Good deal...

Comment

Nice write up. I was not so lucky on my turkey hunt. Congrats.

Comment

Way to go

Comment

congrats and great story. Nice to know its not just me that has to count on luck every once in awhile. lol

Comment

congrats man, looks like the time was worth it! good story and photos

ac

Comment

Way to go, Ronnie!

Comment

Great story and even better trophy. Congrats on the fine bird!

Comment

Congrats Ronnie. Good looking bird.

Comment

Way to go Ronnie!

DJ

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats on a nice gobbler!

Comment

Originally posted by Rsatt View Post
                              Anyway....I have a decoy hen set up. The Tom is strutting hard at the hen. I draw, shoot, and miss the vitals. I think I cut a few feathers off of the fan. The Tom jumps......And strutts again. I know.....That is unheard of, but it happened. I get another arrow and draw. By this time, the Tom is walking away. I shoot him in the butt at about 25 yards. Better to be lucky than good.
                              Those Gander guys have all the toys, he bought his decoy a fancy feather coat. Anyway it did the trick for him but not the Hogboy.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	Decoy coat.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	23927243

Thanks again for the great time Ronnie.

Comment

Working...
                              X