No announcement yet.

Question for you joggers out there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The results I see,along with my lil' ol' workout program,is what keeps me going....Feel a tad bit guilty,if I don't run a little.

Comment

The act of jogging isn't fun. I think people like the time they get to themselves or the sense of accomplishment.

I don't get either, just pain.

Comment

Running sucks, Ive done it almost everyday now for 4 years and its never fun. I even run in races and triathalons and things. Try running a new spot, in the country of somewhere new.

Comment

I've run off and on for most of my adult life. I hate it, but with my lifestyle it is about the only way I can try to stay relatively healthy.
          I think the 'runner's high' or just enjoying running is all about personality. Some get it/some of us don't.
          I run at 6:00 a.m. (another reason I hate running) with Christian rock tunes on my iPod (sort of 'devotional' time) and I live in the country so I often see deer and other wildlife while running.
          Still hate it.

Comment

At 3 miles my high kicks in.

Have you felt one yet?

Comment

I run as often as I can. I just recently got an Aussie pup, full of energy, I need to run her out so we sleep at night As silly as it sounds, I'm really enjoying running with her and for some reason it seems to go easier and more fun with her! All I can figure is she keeps my attention off of the monotonous stride after stride after stride.

Comment

I am up to 4 miles total now at the track, That's running 3.25 and walking .75. It is never fun. Especially in the Texas summer.

My best results come at a track. I don't do as well in the hood.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                  Hang in there man - you are getting close to the good part! The huge majority of people who give running a try then quit, didnt stick with it long enough for it to be enjoyable. This is 100% understandable - running really sucks at first. For the first few weeks when you are running, all you're thinking is "OK I'm running..... This hurts..... still running! Ok, still running.... can't wait to stop!" Eventually, as your body gets accustomed to it you will find your mind wandering and you will be just cruising down the road just like you do in a car. I do some of my best, clearest thinking while on a run. Don't worry about how fast you are going and don't increase mileage too fast - an injury will make you have to start all over!

This is where I'm at! I began running last year, slacked off, then picked it back up a couple months ago. I'm right at the mark of running 2 miles and still don't consider it fun. I have goals, my 'feel good' moment is afterwards when I know I pushed harder to achieve my goals. Good luck and stay motivated!
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by NannySlayer; 06-12-2013, 08:13 AM. Reason: added pic

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                    I'm with you. I'm into week 3. I'm doing around 1.8 miles on the route I have. I am actually starting to look forward to it. Getting ready to hit the trails in about 30 minutes. I have a problem with under pronating (feet hitting the ground on the outside edges) that seems to be causing me some leg pain. Got some new shoes yesterday. Hoping that helps. Just stick with it. I don't ever see it being fun. I ran hundreds of miles in the Marine Corps and never considered it fun. =) I've got a good partner to run with so that helps (my wife).
                    I am a pronator as well. I found that Brooks Trance, made in USA btw, or Asics Gel Kayano's work best for me. Yes, the will set ya back $150 for a pair but well worth it. I'm also on my feet 12hrs a day for the job and haven't had a problem since I switched over to either of those shoes.

Comment

When I was in the Marines I got into running. It got to the point where I was doing like 6+ miles a day. It was to the point that after 10-15 minutes into a run I got the runners high..

I'm into lifting weights now and go out for a run every now and then, but nowhere like I was. Not that I was ever a marathon running or anything. Just really got into it back then.

Keep it up and I hope ya really get into it!

Comment

Stick with it, increase mileage gradually and it will come.

After a few weeks of establishing your base, you can incorporate some interval training in your runs. Something as simple as sprinting one minute, walk 30 seconds, repeat 5-10Xs. This will make your "jogging" alot more enjoyable.

Keep at it!
                        Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Ok, I'd say with a certain amount of comfortability that I'm a pretty experienced runner. I'm not "elite" by any means but I've been doing this a while, including some races that made me question my own sanity.

The "Fun" for me rarely happens during the run, sometimes it does but not usually. For the the fun is afterwards when I look at my GPS or I see other people looking at me that can't or won't run and I know that "I did that".

Change up your route a little bit, the same route over and over tends to become a rut. Go to a good running store and make sure you are in the right shoes. The college kid at Academy doesn't count. Try a Lukes Locker, Fleet Feet, or if you are in BCS go to Brazos Running Company. OH, and NOTHING on your body needs to be cotton. Cotton gets wet with sweat and gets heavy and chaffes in areas you you don't want to be chaffed. Any "under armor" like material made by any number of companies that wic moisture away should do fine. This is especially important in your socks and underwear. Not kidding.

See if you can find a running partner and don't dismiss running with a female, assuming the Mrs, is on board with it, or at least understands.

You might also find a High School or Middle School track to go run on once in a while, it's a great place to meet other runners at various skill levels.

But no matter what, DO NOT QUIT. You are a runner. All of our ancestors were runners at one point or another, if they weren't, they starved, or got eaten. It's in your DNA to run. Sitting on a couch isn't. Push yourself just a little more as much as you can. Don't get too comfortable with 2 miles. Make up an excuse to need to go 2.5, then 3. You don't have to build up to a Marathon but you do need to keep challenging yourself.

You put on your shoes the same way the elites do. At your core you are the same runner they are. Get out there and do it.

Oh, and stop calling yourself a "jogger". Joggers put on cute outfits and are never sore or tired after a run. You are a Runner.
                          Last edited by RogueSamurai; 06-12-2013, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by icetrauma View Post
                            I am a pronator as well. I found that Brooks Trance, made in USA btw, or Asics Gel Kayano's work best for me. Yes, the will set ya back $150 for a pair but well worth it. I'm also on my feet 12hrs a day for the job and haven't had a problem since I switched over to either of those shoes.

Thanks. I just picked up some Asics Cumulus. Kind of middle of the road. If they don't help I'll check these out. I tried to find Brooks Adrenaline in stock but no luck.

Comment

You'll get it when you quite worrying about time and distance. I used to wrestle in high school as a kid. I ran cross country and track to build endurance in the off season.
                              I was getting better and better at distance through the years.

One night I was at a party. All my friend were wasted and they drove is there. It was raining hard outside. I really needed to get home so I ran home. It was about 7 miles but in the cool rain I kept a good pace going and got that euforic feeling. After that I loved running used to run A1A along the beach from city to city.

Now I'm a fat dad

Comment

It takes me a couple of miles to get the "runner's high" where I feel like I can run forever. The first mile I am generally thinking about the million other things I could be doing, but the feeling of accomplishment after finishing my run more than makes up for the first mile. What helped me was joining a running club because they motivate me to keep on going and break up the monotony. Plus, with more people around, they scare off the crazy people at the park.

Comment

Working...
                                X