Crystal creek ranch 4/12-14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crystal creek ranch 4/12-14

Headed to Crystal Creek near Bracketville this Friday with 19 other guys for a Men's retreat from our church (yep that's how we roll - God, campfires, and dead critters). 14 of us will be bowhunting. Anyone been there in a while or got updates on the place. Been 2 years since I've been.

19 guys should make for plenty of LDP's.

Comment

2 other TBHer's going on the trip, so hoping to do our first live hunt thread on here. Just gotta somehow make it through next couple days of work and stay focused.

Comment

19 guys -- ??? wow... full crew. How big is this place ? - c

Comment

Originally posted by takoma View Post
          19 guys -- ??? wow... full crew. How big is this place ? - c
          14 are hunting. I think that's the max number of hunters they can handle and about the number of beds they got too. We are taking a couple popup campers for extra sleeping.

Comment

hunt

let me know how the hunt goes. i have been wanting to try the ranch but have heard mixed reviews. that big of group should have plenty of shot opportunities!
            Last edited by dusty arrow; 04-08-2013, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Sure wish I was going! I'm usually the only one that can shoot in this group. Good luck guys and hope God blesses y'all and softens hearts.

Comment

Originally posted by KELLY STANFORD View Post
                I'm usually the only one that can shoot in this group.
                Oh really!

Comment

Since you bought that Matthews you probably can out shoot me now.

Comment

It's almost tiiiiiiiiiiiime!!

Comment

If I ever move to Victoria I'm joining your church.

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by J-Bob View Post
                          If I ever move to Victoria I'm joining your church.
                          Welcome around our bonfire anytime!!

Comment

Had a great time this weekend!! Morning hunts for exotics were slow but guide had also told us this when we got there. Turkeys however were fired up! Turkeys are extremely hard to get a shot on though on this ranch. Had 3 birds drawn on but no shots. Afternoons were smoking hot. 1st afternoon our group shot Axis buck, Axis doe, Blackbuck doe, Aoudad, 2 pigs and first time bowhunter shot an Ewe. Unfortunately Aoudad was not recovered. Was between 15-20 inches. First morning, another first time bowhunter shot a nice Corsican and a few nice Axis bucks were seen. 2nd afternoon another Blackbuck doe was taken and 4 more pigs. I was drawing on an approximate 15" blackbuck when a friend decided to take a lil stroll and my Blackbuck wasn't real comfortable with that. Later had 4 Aoudad come in. 1 was well over 20" but ran out of light before he made his way to shooting lane. The last morning me n a buddy spent chasing turkeys on the creek away from the other hunters. Called in 7 different birds but none close enuff for a bow. Did stalk and kill the biggest cottontail rabbit you've ever seen though!!
                            Barn (lodge) is very well kept and comfortable, not fancy but nice for hunting camp. Has a deck on back with bow targets down the hill to 50 yards for shooting. We had our mid day shooting contest here on Saturday. Was there 2 years ago and had a beautiful lake behind lodge that sadly now is bone dry due to the drought. Was some really big bass in there.
                            Stephen that runs the ranch is a stand up guy. Was a lot of fun to hang out with and is very accomodating. Has lots of stands set up and is great about working with you if you want to make your own setup. If you ride with him, I will warn you though that I believe he was actually born a Nascar driver. HOLD ON!!
                            And I can't leave out Easton, Stephen's 4 year old son. He has grown up on the ranch and watched him run around half the day in nothing but shorts (no shoes). I had on boots chaps and any protective gear I could find and am still whining about the cactus I'm pulling out of my legs. I swear by the time he is 10, he will be takind down 300lb boars with his pocket knife, without the dogs!!

One slight warning, we saw lots of immature Exotics, so in couple more years might be back in prime but overall was a great weekend!

Comment

Sounds like yall had an awesome time. Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X