Headed to the Mclean Bowman ranch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headed to the Mclean Bowman ranch.

Welcome to the McLean Bowman Ranch. Hunt Large, Free Roaming Bucks on Large Acreage. South Texas Whitetail Hunts Available.

Headed down there with some friends to hunt some javelina and hogs. Looks like a nice place. Anyone been there recently?

He is my neighbor so I hope you reduce there numbers substantially. He has allot of river and creek bottoms so should have plenty hogs. Good luck.

Comment

Thanx.

Comment

good luck

Comment

Good luck, post pictures

Comment

If we do well we will post pics. We plan to eat well and drink some beer so we should have fun. One of the guys has been before and said they did well so we shall see.

Comment

Try to get some pix of Marrs Bowman!

Comment

I don't think that's the kind of "trophy" I'm there to hunt and my wife wouldn't take kindly to those pics.

Comment

If you are interested in seeing big deer you might inquire about looking at some of the heads Mclean owns. Don't know if they take hunters over to the main house but it would be worth asking. He has one of the top collections of trophy WT anywhere, not to mention a bunch of African animals that he and his daughter Marrs has taken.

Comment

Awesome hunt guys. Bill and Rob were gracious hosts, the lodge was sweet and the shot ops were plentiful. I will post pics and details later.

Comment

This weekend I had the pleasure of going on my first javelina hunt. Ben Capps of Three Fingers Bowhunting arranged a hunt for four of us at the ranch as he had previously been there. I was a little concerned about the hunt due to my shoulder repairs a few months ago and the doctors instruction to wait till mid April to resume bow shooting. I took some practice shots the weekend before, packed my gear and headed out Thursday morning early with my friend Jason Womack of Constrictor Rods, Ben and Paul. We got to the ranch around 2:30pm or so and met Bill and Rob. After signing our release agreements and unloading our stuff at the lodge we suited up to head out for a drive around tour with our hosts and to start hunting on an 11,000 acre piece of land.
                      The first afternoon all of us had ops to kill animals and unfortunately they were always zigging when I was zagging. We started off with a hitch mounted feeder feeding the gravel roads and then planning to retrace and find them feeding in the road. While getting turned around on a spot where we should have turned right we saw one crossing the road. We turned around and went back through and it was out in the open. It went into the brush and we dropped of Jason, corned the road and drove off a couple hundred yards to wait. After a few we went back and Jason was there, bow held high, with his first Javelina ever. He had shoulder/spine shot it and dropped it in it's tracks.

After pics, high fives and a congratulatory beer it was off to find more skunk pigs. Then I had a front and center spot when Paul shot his first Javi of the trip. We had been dropped off when we drove through a group of javis that we found at a spot we had corned. We had a blown stalk on a group earlier and hoped these would returned as Ben ran the feeder as he drove off. Well they did. His shot was a little back and it jumped a couple feet in the air and ran off. Fortunately the shot was high enough to cut the artery under the spine and the blood trail was profuse and short.

We had been dropped off and as Ben and Jason drove around they found another group and Ben made a successful stalk and hammered his first of the trip.

That left me the only one without a skunk pig on the rack. We drove around but ops were scattered and they were skittish. Then, just as the sun was going down, we spotted two singles on a gravel road we had corned. A 150 yard stalk later and I came back out on the edge of the road. The range finder said 31 yards and as I came to full draw I stepped out into the open only to have the critter turn and face me slightly quartering. It was a small target but a very doable shot and as I released and followed through I saw the arrow hit right where the pin sat. It passed through and the javi hit the brush at a dead run. He only made it 40 yards or so and was piled up. So ended the first afternoon of hunting and we headed to the lodge to cook our meal and drink a few in celebration.

Day one half and we already half of our limit of javelina.

Comment

Looks like a blast

Comment

awesome and congrats

Comment

Congrats to all!

Comment

Working...
                            X