A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elgato View Post
    Embarrassed to say this but I'm leaving tomorrow afternoon for New Orleans. My sons birthday and my daughters anniversary. Taking the whole bunch to Paul McCartney and assorted festivities.

I can only hope buck makes it thru weekend as I suspect I've worn my neighbors good manners out. Cooler next week
    Ha ha. I was just thinking how good a buddy is he with all your travels

Comment

For those of you that have never tried it this is what a sweet blue lupine looks like. top shelf ice cream plant easy to grow. Fits nicely into a fall food plot with small grains and clover. Great early season attractant but mine doesn't make it to flower in the spring cause the deer eat them all.
      Attached Files

Comment

I have never had a thread on a forum keep me glued to a computer like this one just did. I just found it and went through all of it. I would have to read again and again to retain most of this good stuff but you sir are definitely doing what I dream to do at some point. Best of luck with the giants that you have selected and congrats to you and your buddy for being able to see your hard work pay off.

Comment

Sweet Blue Lupine, Great , that's another seed recommendation from u, Ha I am still waiting for some of the clover seeds u recommended, I thought I had a good seed guy but maybe not. Thanks for your recomendations and good luck on your hunts

Comment

Here is another example of what we call a 'cull' .Obviously older deer with little to show. Have pictures printed out of him and he is on the hit list for somebody.It's all about taking mouths out of the feed bucket.
            Attached Files

Comment

How old is he Rusty?

Comment

He looks 7 or 8

Comment

6 I think. Maybe a little older

Comment

Here's another view. Will be easy to recognize. Not sure which buck this is. What I'm sure of is that he is not any of the better bucks from previous years. As you know there are a lot of just 'regular bucks' that don't attract a lot of attention, then one day you see something that looks like this.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Still following. Great thread and glad you started it this year. So much good information it is crazy.

Comment

Does Louisiana have a managed land permit system similar to Texas or do you just have family and friends lined up to help manage the numbers?

My wife is curious if you have tried pumpkin seeds as an organic wormer?

Comment

La. has something called DMAP { deer mgt. assistance program } which might be similar to Texas programs. It gives us more latitude in managing the property both with extended season as well as providing analytical review from harvest . We turn in jaws , body weights, lactation and they collate it at season end giving us annual records to review.

I've never heard of pumpkin seed as a wormer, but will do some research.We are finding a few ticks on the deer this year but not many. Surprising since we had such a wet summer.

Comment

This is for those of you that like nice 8's. 5 yr old. Had a split 2 last yr.

Acorns carpeting the ground and deer stopped coming to the fields. Gorgeous has holed up in a thicket in an oak bottom becoming totally nocturnal. Cooler weather coming this week with rut getting closer by the day. Hopefully things will change.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Man he is awesome! Pretty buck!

Comment

That is a trophy eight and an awesome buck. This is a great thread elgato. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X