when to start feeding Protein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when to start feeding Protein

When does everyone start? I normally start middle of February and stop when season starts.

Originally posted by BaseKAM36 View Post
    When does everyone start? I normally start middle of February and stop when season starts.
    We pretty much do the same thing. Start mid February and fill up for the last time Labor Day weekend which usually last until around October 1st.

Comment

In my opinion, starting in February is too late. We feed year around but at a minimum I would feed January through September. By starting right after Christmas the bucks have time to recoup their bodies from the rut before they start shedding antlers and regrowing new ones. If they are still recouping come March/April, then they are using valuable nutrients for body health instead of antler development.

Comment

Originally posted by hillcountryhunter View Post
        In my opinion, starting in February is too late. We feed year around but at a minimum I would feed January through September. By starting right after Christmas the bucks have time to recoup their bodies from the rut before they start shedding antlers and regrowing new ones. If they are still recouping come March/April, then they are using valuable nutrients for body health instead of antler development.
        That’s probably a good point. I was thinking well heck most of our bucks still have there horns well into March why start feeding it in January. But you do have a good point I never thought about.

Comment

365, but with timed protein feeders. We target axis so we augment with free choice in January and May (which happens to correspond to their annual migration through our place).

Comment

should have started already

Comment

My theory is there should be protein available from the time bucks stop thinking about girls to the time they start thinking about them again. Obviously this is a little different across the state. If I could not feed year around, I would feed from about Christmas through the end of September. Late January through October for South Texas.

Comment

January-August at least if not year round . Bucks are run down from rut in January and even with expansive food plots and acorns they hit the feeders readily . In La. I stop Sept 1 as I have found that when the acorns first start dropping they completely stop the feeders.

Comment

We start first weekend of Jan. and usually quit around August (or however long the cotton seed lasts).

Comment

I think that this part of winter is the hardest time on the deer not much food for them to eat

Comment

Started last weekend.

Comment

Started them on protein last week. Will fill them for the last time Labor Day weekend.

Comment

We start protein on our last hunt in January which was 2 weeks ago. We keep our corn feeders going all year but turn them way down and only once per day hoping it keeps deer on the property. We turn the corn back up and go back to twice per day around the 1st of September and generally run out of protein around the 1st of October.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                            Started them on protein last week. Will fill them for the last time Labor Day weekend.
                            This is what were doing. Bucks need something to get them rebounded quick after the rut or the older deer mighht end up as coyote bait. Were doing cotton seed and protein.

Comment

We feed year round. I was at the lease this past weekend and watched 3 bucks hammering the protein. Recovering from the rut, staying off the cold and preparing to shed and put on more bone.

Comment

Working...
                              X