New To Public Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New To Public Hunting

I am very curious about how the whole public hunting thing works. This is my first year to try it since my family place got sold, and that I don't have access to a lease, so I really wanted to buy a public hunting permit and begin getting aquainted with it. I was really hoping that someone out there could help me out with some more info on how the system works, and where my best outlet for getting info would be. Thanks and gig em'

I'm not sure, but I think the Somerville WMA is probably closest to you. When you buy $48 permit, you get a book containing all WMA maps in Texas. Get in there and scout as much as you can.

Comment

Wesley,
      Like Nathan said do your scouting early. Don't wait till opening day the WMA is some big woods especially if you get on the the land outside its boundries. Just look at your maps.
      Tommy

Comment

there's more public land available than most people think but it takes ALOT of research to find it.
        Here's some other avenues to look at:
        Texas Parks & Wildlife
        National Parks
        Army Corp of Engineers
        State Parks -----sometimes these listings are different than TWPD
        National Forests
        City Parks(sometimes even some cities have 'green belt' areas available)
        County Land
        Timber Companies
        Texas Forest land(they're not parks or state forests but governed by the state agency!)
        Military bases---they sometimes have huge tracts they allow hunting on.

The internet is your friend. Lots of research!

Comment

Don't forget once you get the names of local area, then get boundary maps, then start using Google earth satellite photos to narrow down where on the property you want to start stomping around.

Comment

If your in college station sommerville is where your gonna want to go, the TPWD land just south of lake limestone ain't that far either, and I think you can still use a rifle to deer hunt out there.

Comment

Sommerville rocks. Hog hunted there last year. Going again this year.

Comment

where do i find the boundary maps, topo maps etc. do i need to find a game warden, wildlife biologist???

Comment

Comment

gonna try and make it out to somerville this week, does anyone know if it's to late to get a hog hunting permit?

Comment

Working...
                    X