No announcement yet.

Anyone ever lease from Mike Hopkins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I leased a 100 acre piece of land north of Denton from him last year. When I got on the land and investigated it further, I found the center of the property to be full of junk and old parked cars. I called Mike and he refunded my money the next week.

Stand up Guy.

Comment

From Mr. Hopkins...

BB, thx for your comments, I have never cussed anybody out about a deer lease, in fact, i generally do not cuss. I have never had a lease around Gordon, Have had quite a few but none there. I really think the guy has me mixed up with someone else.

I do negotiate prices, however i usually do not have to, I have learned to be competitive in the market.

I do choose to pick my hunters that I feel good about just as the hunters have a right to pick their leases. It is a two way street.

On 5000 ac the number of hunters would be determined by the deer density, the distance from DFW, the land value, etc. I can assure you there would not be 57 hunters on 5000 ac.

I am a hunter, landowner and lease manager. I have a fair perspective on the hunting business. I make an honest living and I love my job. The hunters I deal with are usually very professional, good folks simply looking for a ranch to call home. By the way, it is a business, can u name anything in America that $ is involved that is not.

I disagree with the person who stated guys like me caused the price of leases to go up. Rural ranch land that has gone up 10 fold in the last 30 years is the biggest reason. Leases have not gone up any more than any other natural resource in my opinion and LEASES are way cheaper in the short term than owning if you consider all the cost involved.

This is my attempt to set the record straight, Mike Hopkins

Comment

^^^

Well said BUT middle men like this DO without a doubt cause lease prices to go up. It's simple math... If the rancher gives it to the middle man for $8 an acre then the MM leases it to the hunter for $12 a acre then the price has gone up. It is what it is and personally I have no problem with a guy making a living at it. If someone is foolish enough to pay $2k to lease, especially in a sub par county, then let em have it!

Comment

Originally posted by Cuz View Post
          middle men like this DO without a doubt cause lease prices to go up. It's simple math... If the rancher gives it to the middle man for $8 an acre then the MM leases it to the hunter for $12 a acre then the price has gone up.
          X2

Comment

I have spoke Mike Hopkins and he really does sound like a stand up guy. He seemed to be very fair in waht he required and allowed when leasing. Mike I hope to lease from you soon.

Comment

Originally posted by florissant View Post
              From Mr. Hopkins...

BB, thx for your comments, I have never cussed anybody out about a deer lease, in fact, i generally do not cuss. I have never had a lease around Gordon, Have had quite a few but none there. I really think the guy has me mixed up with someone else.

I do negotiate prices, however i usually do not have to, I have learned to be competitive in the market.

I do choose to pick my hunters that I feel good about just as the hunters have a right to pick their leases. It is a two way street.

On 5000 ac the number of hunters would be determined by the deer density, the distance from DFW, the land value, etc. I can assure you there would not be 57 hunters on 5000 ac.

I am a hunter, landowner and lease manager. I have a fair perspective on the hunting business. I make an honest living and I love my job. The hunters I deal with are usually very professional, good folks simply looking for a ranch to call home. By the way, it is a business, can u name anything in America that $ is involved that is not.

I disagree with the person who stated guys like me caused the price of leases to go up. Rural ranch land that has gone up 10 fold in the last 30 years is the biggest reason. Leases have not gone up any more than any other natural resource in my opinion and LEASES are way cheaper in the short term than owning if you consider all the cost involved.

This is my attempt to set the record straight, Mike Hopkins
              I told my side, he told his. Fair enough, make your own determination. And he is right, the lease was not around Gordon, after looking back through my records and talking to the other guys that were with me, it was in/around Carbon. This has been at least 5 years ago. Maybe he had a change of heart, I don't know.

And he is a middle man and that does make the price higher. He's entitled to make a living he does all the legwork and all of the locating the properties and negotiating the leases. But, you will pay more for that service. And after my experience I prefer to deal with the landowner directly if possible.

Comment

I have friends that say they have had dealings with Mike Hopkins and they said that he got hot headed with them too. He is one of those sub leasers that leases a property for nothing and then charges an arm and a leg for the lease to the consumer without the landowner knowing. So there isn't a doubt that he is one of the many reasons that lease prices have went through the roof.
                Last edited by Hoghunter10; 03-02-2010, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Have leased from him in the past and I like the guy, he does put too many people on too small an acrage but that whole area is like that which is why the deer numbers are so low, but it is supply and demand, DEMAND-there are enough people in the dfw area not wanting to drive more than two hours and are willing to pay the money so; SUPPLY he supplies them with what they need. Simple economics same as gas, food or anything else that you pay for. I now drive 4 hrs to pay what I want and have the acraege per man that I want.

Comment

ttt

Comment

Working...
                    X