Geo Tracker Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geo Tracker Project

I finally broke down and bought me a new truck and the last thing I want to do is slip and slide up and down the big red clay hill headed to my prime stand and catch a pine tree in the side panel. So I did a little trading with a fella on Facebook a couple of months ago and scored this little gem of a '94 Geo Tracker. Turns out it's not quite as "deer lease ready" as he claimed it to be. The cosmetic appeal was apparent from his pictures and I knew I was going to paint it anyways. Here's what she looked like when I got her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So problem number 1... I was on my way to work for 28 days in W. Tx when the guy was able to come down for the trade. My buddy who owns a reputable diesel shop in town agreed to meet up with the guy and check out the Geo. He cranked it, drove it down the road, made the trade, and parked it in his yard until I got home.

I get there and the battery is dead. No problem, I had hell getting it jumped off though. Actually I had hell finding the latch that pops the hood... it's in the glove box... genius engineering We finally got it to crank by jumping the started while I had jumper cables hooked up. I drove it about 20mi home and it seems to drive pretty good for what it is. Tops out at around 55mph. It'll never see that at the deer lease. Anyways, I get it home, kill it, and try to crank it again to see if the alternator charged the battery. It would turn over but wouldn't crank. I chalked it up to a bad battery so I put a new battery on it and it wouldn't do ANYTHING. No clicks, no turn over, nothing. I got ****** and went and picked up some paint. I got 2 gallons of Rustoleum Flat Black. I didn't get pics of the prep work, but I did a light sand all over the body, wiped it down with paint remover and let it dry. Then I taped up the mirror... it only has 1, the wind shield, and head lights. I went ahead and painted over the tail lights for some added stealth

Comment

I needed a beer break so I went to the dollar store and got some Coors Light, ice, an exacto knife, and poster board. I came home and cut some big patterns in the poster board and started spraying. The wind was blowing about 100 but it turned out pretty decent.

Comment

Now to address the electrical issue... Let me get 2 things very clear. I'm a red neck, but I am not a mechanic! One of the only things on the planet I'm afraid of is electricity.

I noticed that they key had actually been left in Aux Mode rather than completely off so first thing I tested the battery, I had almost 13v at the battery. Next I tested the ignition switch and there was nothing. 0v. I traced the wiring as best I could and couldn't find anything between the battery and ignition switch to check so I figured it nearly had to be a fuse. I found a little fuse box right by the battery and found a problem.

The 60A fuse was blown so I stuck a piece of copper lead in there and basically jumped it across. I turned the key over and it fired right up! So I go to pull the fuse and it's hard as hell, I can't pull it at all. I pulled the others on the panel no problem and assumed it was "welded" in place from whatever caused it to blow in the first place so I did what any good redneck would do, I grabbed a but set of pliers and went to yanking on it. All that did was destroy the fuse.

I then look and see two leads going to the side of the fuse. I pulled one side and what was left of the fuse was loose. I started on the other side, the wrench slipped and arced out on the side of the Geo and started a small fire. So then I unhooked the battery and continued. Quick run to O'Reilys and grabbed an 80A (they didn't have a 60). Come home, dropped it and and we have ignition!

Comment

I was pretty proud of myself so I drove to the store about 10mi down the road to fill it up with gas. I pull up to the pump, kill it, get out, gas cap is on the other side, jump back in to swap pumps, it turns over but won't crank. I throw it in neutral, push it out of the way, tried to pop the clutch but wasn't going fast enough, so I went in and got some starter fluid to give that a try. When I came back out the battery was completely dead. It'll click but won't turn over at all. A buddy comes and hooks on to me, I pop the clutch and it fires right up. I drove it all the way back home but the battery didn't charge. So I got ****** and did some more painting. My wife said it needed a little brown. I also picked up a 10" light bar while I was at O'Reileys and mounted it to the top.

And currently that's where I'm at. My next step is pulling the alternator and hoping and praying that's my problem. I'm open to all mechanical suggestions!

Comment

It's gonna be a cold ride around the lease with your shoulders and head hanging out of the top of the sunroof while the rest of you sits in the seat!

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
              It's gonna be a cold ride around the lease with your shoulders and head hanging out of the top of the sunroof while the rest of you sits in the seat!

It does make for a handy rifle rest though

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                It does make for a handy rifle rest though

The first thing I thought when I saw the ten foot light bar on top was he put that right in the way of his rifle rest!

Comment

Working...
                X