Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting Standby

Originally posted by Wanderingchef View Post
    I didn't get drawn for any hunts this year and was wondering if anyone has had any luck hunting standby? How does that work? Show up early, with the fee and be ready to hunt?
    Yep, that pretty much all there is to it. To increase your chances check the TPWD website for statics on previous years hunts for the location you want to go as standby. There is no guarantee, but this will give you an idea of how many standbys typically show up. Some hunts attract a large number of standbys, other do not. Also, as noted previously, always call ahead to see how many standby positions are open and what time to show up.

Comment

I attempted a ton of standbys last last year and was successful about 25% of getting on for WMAs across the state. It's a lonely drive home if you don't get selected.

Comment

i hunt the Old sabine bottom pretty regular. asked about the drawn hunt deal they have. keep in mind i never put in for them. i was told by one of the rangers who works there that they have never turned away a standby hunter. may want to check into it. by the way you can take your atv with you for this one.

Comment

Originally posted by hand grenade View Post
          i hunt the Old sabine bottom pretty regular. asked about the drawn hunt deal they have. keep in mind i never put in for them. i was told by one of the rangers who works there that they have never turned away a standby hunter. may want to check into it. by the way you can take your atv with you for this one.
          +1

I like OSB, and the staff are very willing to help you.

Comment

Originally posted by STXBOWHUNTER73 View Post
            Re type this after youve been to the Chap or Daughtry they do not draw every stand by for sure. The last 4 years at the Daughtry they only drew 1 card, and there was twice as many stand bys as draw hunters....
            I'm not talking about those "High Profile" places. I go to those places that are not spoke of a great deal and I've seen some real impressive deer too!!! Could be the reason I have no desire to go to either. I can drive up the road within 2 hrs and show up at 7 different places that hardly gets any attention and have a 95% chance of getting to hunt as stand-by and have a 80% chance of seeing better bucks than the guys at the Chap or JD. Besides, we go to these hunts to hunt, right? So, I will go to places I know will have plenty of stand-by slots available. And I am strictly talking about archery hunts.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzcut View Post
              If a drawn hunter doesn't show up they might give his spot to a standby hunter or they might not,it's his area and his call. If the drawn hunter shows up late they will probably find a place on the property for him to hunt(or they should). A lot of it boils down to the personality and "style" of the guy managing the area.
              Again, you need to read the "book". And I quote from the "book";
              Hunt positions are reserved for any drawn hunter having paid the Special Permit fee for a specific hunt period unless the drawn hunter personally advises the Department to release the position in advance of the start of the hunt. unquote!!
              Other words, if you are drawn and paid your permit fee Before the deadline date, the Department is not to give your spot away if you are not present at the start of the hunt. I have been on many, many of these hunts. And every one that I have been to tell me this same thing. Reason being, I'm hardly ever there at the start of the hunt. I may be a hour late or not even show up till the next day, but they will not give my spot up. And so far, all the hunts that I've been on, knock on wood, the staff at each place has been professional and very helpful. Granted, I have called ahead and let them know about what time of my arrival. But I remember a hunt I was drawn for at Richland Creek. I was there at the very start. There was another drawn hunter that hadn't showed or notified any of the staff. They still drew a compartment for him for when he did show. He had the compartment next to me and he never showed up and that compartment did not get hunted.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                Again, you need to read the "book". And I quote from the "book";
                Hunt positions are reserved for any drawn hunter having paid the Special Permit fee for a specific hunt period unless the drawn hunter personally advises the Department to release the position in advance of the start of the hunt. unquote!!
                Other words, if you are drawn and paid your permit fee Before the deadline date, the Department is not to give your spot away if you are not present at the start of the hunt. I have been on many, many of these hunts. And every one that I have been to tell me this same thing. Reason being, I'm hardly ever there at the start of the hunt. I may be a hour late or not even show up till the next day, but they will not give my spot up. And so far, all the hunts that I've been on, knock on wood, the staff at each place has been professional and very helpful. Granted, I have called ahead and let them know about what time of my arrival. But I remember a hunt I was drawn for at Richland Creek. I was there at the very start. There was another drawn hunter that hadn't showed or notified any of the staff. They still drew a compartment for him for when he did show. He had the compartment next to me and he never showed up and that compartment did not get hunted.
                If a drawn hunter is a no-show and didn't call they should give his spot to a standby hunter.PERIOD. Otherwise it's turning down extra income for the department and depriving a standby hunter of the opportunity to hunt. If the drawn hunter shows up late,great,find a place on the property for him to hunt,maybe in the same compartment as the standby hunter. Again,I dont think you understand how much liberty the manager of the WMA has as far as how many standby permits he can issue.If he wants to issue 10 he will,if he wants to issue zero he will. When you called that stopped them from taking on another standby hunter,otherwise they probably would have.I've been on over 40 of the draw hunts since 1987 so I know a little about how it goes.

Comment

If a drawn hunter is a no-show and didn't call they should give his spot to a standby hunter.PERIOD.
                  OK, soooooooooooooo, let's just say, you get drawn for your 41st hunt, and something happens to prevent you from being on time. And your cell phone is dead or you don't have service or any of the staff people answers the phone. You finally show up 2 hrs late. But the way you want the Dept to run these hunts, I'm there as a stand by, I get to hunt your spot!!! You get to go back home minus the money you already paid.
                  Cool!! I understand now!!!

Comment

I do feel if you aren't there when the hunt starts your spot should be filled by a standby hunter. I can't speak for the WMAs in south Texas but the ones I hunt in north Texas if you show up 2 hours late with your permit they will probably "work with you".They've probably had that happen before and have a plan to deal with it.Maybe put you in a compartment with another single hunter. You need to relax and quit worrying about "your spot".

Comment

Granted Sqiggy it's not as hard to get a standby permit on the archery hunts as the gun hunts,my point is the managers of the different areas are not bound by ANYTHING that goes on in Austin as far as the drawings are concerned. They have tremendous leeway as to whether they will do standby permits or not,and how many. If a drawn hunter doesn't show up they might give his spot to a standby hunter or they might not,it's his area and his call. If the drawn hunter shows up late they will probably find a place on the property for him to hunt(or they should). A lot of it boils down to the personality and "style" of the guy managing the area.
                      This is entirely incorrect. If a drawn hunter has Paid for their hunt position and may did not arrive the first day, his/her or their hunt may not be given up to any standby hunter. Not sure where you have gotten your information, but that is totally incorrect. Hunt Managers do not have the 'leeway' to give any paid drawn hunt position away.

This here makes zero sense and makes me laugh "A lot of it boils down to the personality and "style" of the guy managing the area." It has nothing to do with their personality or as you say, "style' of the individual managing the area. Maybe in your world, but they do what is ethical, legal and do not create a situation for anyone to sue the department for a breech of drawn hunt position given to another individual.

Comment

Sqiggy - I know exactly what you are saying, some what it their way or by what they feel is right for them. Oh well...

Hey, have you been drawn on any hunts yet? I talked with you last year on some of the hunts from the THF.

Comment

I'll respond to your post ground level but first please post your credentials. How many of the draw hunts have you been present at?

Comment

Originally posted by ground level View Post
                            Sqiggy - I know exactly what you are saying, some what it their way or by what they feel is right for them. Oh well...

Hey, have you been drawn on any hunts yet? I talked with you last year on some of the hunts from the THF.
                            No hunts so far, but hey, still a lot of hunts left to draw. I'm hoping my son can make "5" straight yrs of drawing!!!
                            I sure am glad you responded to this thread. Every year, there seems to be some misinterpretation to these draw hunts. I just try to pass along the information that I know is right.

I'll respond to your post ground level but first please post your credentials. How many of the draw hunts have you been present at?
                            He may have never been drawn. He may not even be eligible!!! I don't know, are you ground level?
                            Either way, this man knows more about it than me and you put together!!

Comment

Yes, I can apply and have since the early 80's with more than enough times drawn for a various hunts, assisted in many of the draw hunts and been on more than 30 standbys.

And yours buzz?

Comment

Originally posted by ground level View Post
                                Yes, I can apply and have since the early 80's with more than enough times drawn for a various hunts, assisted in many of the draw hunts and been on more than 30 standbys.

And yours buzz?

I've already mentioned I've been on about 40 of the draw hunts,about half as a standby. It's my understanding the personel managing the WMA decide how many hunters should be allowed on the area...not the suits in Austin.Do you not agree with that? When they do the roll call of drawn hunters if only 12 of the 15 expected sound off then the 3 vacant spots should be filled by standby hunters. If TPWD currently has a policy stating otherwise that policy should be changed. Holding a "spot"(which is erroneous by the way) for the drawn hunter who may or may not show up is a totally bullsh*t concept. If the drawn hunter shows up late,find a place on the property for him to hunt. Some of these WMA's are over 50,000 acres and you're telling me you cant find a spot for a hunter who shows up late? Good Lord! And are you seriously worried about a drawn hunter filing a complaint his "spot" was given to a standby hunter? Really? TPWD is badly suffering from a lack of fresh thinking and ideas.

Comment

Working...
                                X