Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M.E.B. (Mike) Take a look

OK Mike (M.E.B.)

At lunch time I crunched some numbers for you to use as comparison.

Using the rule of thumb calculation of:
    5gr arrow weight added = 2fps loss in speed
    5gr arrow weight deducted = 2fps gain in speed

```````````````````````````````````
    @ 625gr / 12.5gpp / 113fps

Momentum = .313331

Kinetic Energy = 17.70324

@ 600gr / 12gpp / 123fps

Momentum = .327417

Kinetic Energy = 20.13620

@ 550gr / 11gpp / 143fps

Momentum = .348935

Kinetic Energy = 24.94886

your current setup

@ 500gr / 10gpp / 163fps

Momentum = .361579

Kinetic Energy = 29.46872

@475gr / 9.5gpp / 173fps

Momentum = .364574

Kinetic Energy = 31.53565

@450gr / 9gpp / 183fps

Momentum = .365350 <- Highest Momentum

Kinetic Energy = 33.42956

@425gr / 8.5gpp / 193fps

Momentum = .363908

Kinetic Energy = 35.11718

@400gr / 8gpp / 203fps

Momentum = .360248

Kinetic Energy = 36.56521

@375gr / 7.5gpp / 213fps

Momentum = .354370

Kinetic Energy = 37.74040

For me with bows of 60# or less, that happy medium has always come in from 9 to 10 gpp. These calculations reinforce that for me.

All just in theory of course, because we don't know for sure what your speeds would be, BUT - Looks like 9gpp is the best all around arrow weight for your rig.

Rick

I believe those posted numbers are slightly distorted Rick. 125 grs extra arrow weight does not translate to 50fps less in arrow speed. His prior post showed 5oogr arrow at 160fps =.3552 momentum, he stated that 620 gr arrow was 150fps =.412 momentum slugs. even at 560gr arrow at 150fps = .373 momentuam. The numbers increase with added weight. Bow efficiency dictates FPS in ALL cases.

Comment

Personally I think you're about at optimum with the 620 grain arrow.. you might go to 650 or down to 600 but you're in the ball park.

Testing my Blackhills II's one 58" / 49lbs @28" and 60" /49lbs @ 28" I found the sweet spot to be between 640 and 660 after that I started seeing a loss on my weight to speed ratio.

Comment

That's the reason I said - "All just in theory of course, because we don't know for sure what your speeds would be"

The difference in his 500gr arrow, and 620gr arrows as per your post is 13 fps slower.
        That is roughly 0.1083fps loss of speed per every additional gr of arrow. That would be .54 fps for every 5 gr.

I'll refigure it using that deferential as the rule of thumb speed difference, and see what we get.

Rick

Comment

Here are the numbers using a .1083 speed difference per gr of arrow.

@ 700gr / 14gpp / 141.4fps

Momentum = .439130

Kinetic Energy = 31.04652

@ 625gr / 12.5gpp / 149.5fps

Momentum = .414540

Kinetic Energy = 30.98692

@ 600gr / 12gpp / 152.1fps

Momentum = .404614

Kinetic Energy = 30.75066

@ 550gr / 11gpp / 157.6fps

Momentum = .384560

Kinetic Energy = 30.30338

your current setup

@ 500gr / 10gpp / 163fps

Momentum = .361579

Kinetic Energy = 29.46872

@475gr / 9.5gpp / 165.7fps

Momentum = .349190

Kinetic Energy = 28.93041

@450gr / 9gpp / 168.4fps

Momentum = .336202

Kinetic Energy = 28.30823

@425gr / 8.5gpp / 171.1fps

Momentum = .322615

Kinetic Energy = 27.59974

@400gr / 8gpp / 173.8fps

Momentum = .306654

Kinetic Energy = 26.49497

@375gr / 7.5gpp / 176.5fps

Momentum = .293644

Kinetic Energy = 25.91413

Obviously, by that deferential the heaviest arrow has the most momentum, but I don't believe the bow is efficient enough to only lose 21.6fps with an additional 200gr of arrow.

Like I said, we won't know for sure without actual chrony readings with different arrow weights, and I bet when those are revealed he'll still come being real close to the best all around he can get with his current setup, which was the point I was trying to make from the get go.

Rick

Comment

I shouldn't have read this, dang I got a headache!!!

Comment

Originally posted by trad"Doc"53 View Post
              LOL, I love playing with this kind of stuff.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by trad"Doc"53 View Post
                Me too.

Yep someplace there has to be a medium between too fast and light and too heavy and slow.

Rick, so hopefully I will get a chance to play with my bow this weekend. Work has informed me I will be putting my last deer hunt off by a few days so I will have more time.

Using your numbers what I may do is to switch from shooting 200 grain Muzzy Phathoms to 125 Magnus or Zwickey with 125 steel inserts and shoot a 60 grain heavier arrow at 560 grains. This way I will not loose as much speed, still increase arrow weight and will not have to play with arrow tubes.

Will see how it goes and keep you guys informed.

Thanks for doing the math. I will shoot a variety of weights and post a chart.

I think when I have my little feed at Vanderpool I will set up my chrono and have people do a little bow poll there in person. I don't see how some people shooting close to my set up are getting that much more speed than me. We'll do a little scientific research and see how things shake out.

Thanks again.

Comment

Hey Rick I was not trying to give ya beat down on the numbers :]
                  I believe you are correct about diminishing returns once a arrow gets too heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by SAVIOUR68 View Post
                    Hey Rick I was not trying to give ya beat down on the numbers :]
                    I believe you are correct about diminishing returns once a arrow gets too heavy.
                    LOL I know that Bro.

All you did was give me another angle to approach it from, and I love multiple angles of approach.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by M.E.B. View Post

I think when I have my little feed at Vanderpool I will set up my chrono and have people do a little bow poll there in person. I don't see how some people shooting close to my set up are getting that much more speed than me. We'll do a little scientific research and see how things shake out.

Thanks again.
                      I do not know how you would "calibrate" a chrono, but I do know it is possible for them to be off. Just a thought?

There also quite a big spread between different bows, but I doubt that is a big part of this cause you shoot reputable high-end bows.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                        I do not know how you would "calibrate" a chrono, but I do know it is possible for them to be off. Just a thought?

There also quite a big spread between different bows, but I doubt that is a big part of this cause you shoot reputable high-end bows.

Bisch
                        My chrono and West Houston Archery chrono are only off by 4 fps with my compound. Theirs 260 fps and mine 264 fps. I figure a compound would have less margin for error as you can only pull it so far back.

That spread between different bows is why I want to to a little test at Vanderpool. One shot through the chrono should be worth a chicken dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post

Bisch
                          Jerry, shooting through the chrony is pretty much an absolute must to figure out the speed differences, and the efficiency of the bow with different arrow weights, but the accuracy of the chrony will not effect the incremental outcome.

If inaccurate it might not show the exact numbers for each arrow, but it will still show the incremental increases/decreases, and show which one has the best delivered energy.

Just want to shoot them all through the "same" chrony.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by M.E.B. View Post
                            I want to to a little test at Vanderpool. One shot through the chrono should be worth a chicken dinner.
                            Mike, if you're going to do that, you need to have a bow scale, and a grain scale in the station also. Weigh the bows, and the arrows to go along with their speed results.

That's the only way your going to get an accurate comparison.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                              Mike, if you're going to do that, you need to have a bow scale, and a grain scale in the station also. Weigh the bows, and the arrows to go along with their speed results.

That's the only way your going to get an accurate comparison.

Rick
                              Yep thought of that too. Have all of the above.

Comment

Working...
                              X