La Salle County Success!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

La Salle County Success!

I don't know why but the measurement of 160" has always been my ultimate goal. Something I thought would never take place...…..until Sunday morning at about 7:18. I had been watching this buck we call Splitter (because of his big split G2's) for the last 3 years. He actually was going to be a shooter last season but he went down from the year before so we decided to let him walk and see if he would come back to being close to the year before. It paid off and BIG time. He put on about 30" from 2017 and about 15" from 2016.

Going into the season I was keeping close tabs on him. During the late summer months it looked like he was going to surpass anything he had been so far. Once season came around I knew this was the deer I wanted to chase. As season started it was incredibly hot down in South Texas so I decided to give it a couple of weeks to hopefully cool down. Which it didn't until today which is a day late and a dollar short. I actually made a scoring post in the game management category.
    Discuss aging, scoring, management ideas and all things related to improving hunting conditions

Sunday morning seemed like it was going to be another slow sit until about 7:15. it was like someone turned on a light switch and deer were everywhere. I was watching a couple of bucks at the feeder when I caught motion out of my right window. I look over and there is Splitter at 15 yards on my hand corn. The feeder goes off at 7:20 and with all of the game camera pics I had of Splitter he was never there in the mornings after the feeder went off. So I was worried if the feeder went off and scared him he would be gone for the morning hunt. So I hurried to get everything ready and at 18 yards I squeezed of my shot. I watched the lighted nock disappear into his body but the shot was so close and so fast I wasn't sure where exactly the shot placement was.

After giving him an hour and with the help of my dad and co-workers we found him 50 yards in the brush. The shot was perfect. With how quickly everything took place I never really looked at his horns while he was standing in front of me. This was also the first time I had ever seen him on the hoof. To say he was bigger than I expected was an understatement. He was incredible and HUGE. After we got him back to camp and put a tape to him he measured out at 178 3/8". I don't know if I will ever top this deer but if not that's fine with me. I got to experience this with close friends and more importantly my BEST friend and long time hunting partner.....my dad.
    Attached Files

Congratulations on a great buck!

Comment

Awesome buck congrats!

Comment

Stud!!!

Comment

Good one!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats, Awesome buck!

Comment

STUD, That on your lease place or a HF place you sell hunts?

Comment

Awesome deer I enjoy being a part son thank you

Comment

Great buck love the chocolate

Comment

Great buck man. Congrats!

Comment

Atta Boy. Congrats. You need someone smaller to take pics with your trophies! Heck of a deer.

Comment

Great Buck, Congratulations

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X