Crossbows and 3D tournaments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crossbows and 3D tournaments?

South Plains Archery Club as been approached to add a crossbow class to our tournaments. I have a few questions and need help to make our decision.

1.) Are any other clubs allowing crossbows?
    2.) Are the targets holding up with crossbow use as advertised?
    3.) Do you charge more for crossbow access than with compound bows?
    4.) Have you had any accidents?
    5.) Have you seen a decrease in memberships since adding crossbows or has it helped membership?

Any feedback you can offer is greatly appreciated.

I don't have the answers you seek, but as a crossbow shooter....

I don't see any problems in my 3D target as far as it holding up to numerous shots. I believe it is the same as when I was shooting my compound.

Why would you charge more for crossbow access than compound bows?

Accidents will happen. Period. But with that said, it will happen with anything, not just crossbows. I've seen people shooting compounds before that have had accidents.

As for decrease/increase, have not seen anything but forum scuttle butt that would suggest anything otherwise.

There was a good article in the recent Bowhunting magazine I received that says crossbows are one of the hottest new things in archery. It went on to say that its like the AR problems that everybody was speaking of a couple of years ago when it was taboo for to hunt with an assault gun. It also talked about how the crossbow was around before the English longbow in terms of traditional.

Comment

Thank you for your input.
      We are just trying to find out what some of the other clubs are doing so we can make a decision. It was voted down at the meeting last night but because we have limited experience with crossbows we decided to look into it a bit further.

Comment

I don't know about any clubs that are allowing it, but ASA has a crossbow class at the pro ams. Target impact should be the same as compound bow usage, and I don't think it would be a good idea to charge more for xbow shooters.

It is all archery, and there is nothing to fear really, other than possibly safety concerns. And those can be addressed by having the xbow shooters not cock or load until they are at the stake, and they cannot use any aiming aids, such as bipods, or shooting sticks.

Comment

For what it's worth the ASA has a xbow class. I have never seen a xbow shooter at a 3d meet. I would welcome the change.

Comment

What Glenn said.

I've shot side by side with cross bow shooters and I really do not see any difference in their equipment than ours. they shoot from the 45 yard stake. Their bolts are not any bigger or go deeper into the targets. they do not tear up the targets anymore than compound archers.

But, you have the old fashioned people who are against it because it looks like rifle shooting. Old farts.

Comment

LOL we are just trying to form an educated opinion to the request since none of use shoot crossbows and none of us have been around them. Not saying they are good or bad. I was told last night that our local archery shop charges a lot more for crossbow to shoot on their range because they are harder on the targets and I've have an archery club president tell me that they allow them but the bolts go in deeper and have had a few people cut their targets to remove the bolt. From what I have learned crossbows normally shoot around 290 fps which would make the impact about the same as a compound bow. However the crossbow sales person told me some can shoot in the range of 400 fps which would lead me to believe they would penetrate deeper into the targets.

Its something to ponder for sure.....

Comment

As a crossbow shooter I have done a few tournaments, and will say if I did not have the help from son who was helping me cock it I wouldn't have finished. If you don't allow a shooting stick thank about how tired you would be from cocking and holding something heavy

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Comment

Send a PM to Oneway. He is with Archers for Christ Archery Club in Paris. I do not know if they allow Xbows in the 3D shoots but they do have a xbow practice range set up.

Bisch

Comment

Only thing I could see being a pain is removing the bolt from the target.my grandfather shot my 3Ds and it was a mistake. Hard enough to pull my arrows, his were almost impossible. They are Rinehart and McKenzie targets.

Comment

I've heard that can be a problem.

Comment

One thing I have is a lube to put on arrow, made by Venom I believe. Using it and it was a lot easier than pulling arrows from my compound.

Comment

I have not seen any xbow shooters at any of the tournaments I have been at.

Only way I would charge them more is if they tend to tear up targets worse (answered above) so no.

Accidents will happen, luckily I have not seen any accidents at a 3D other than back in the 80's a few bows exploded and caused some minor injury to the shooter. Hope I don't see or hear of any accidents at a 3D period

As far as not allowing shooting sticks, bipods etc that is ultimately up to club or sanctioning body rules.
                          I see several people shooting compounds or traditional that are wore out by the time they get to the last targets.

Having xbow shooters wait until at stake to cock and load would be the only way I would shoot around them. Just like waving a loaded gun around. From what I have understood you are not supposed to nock an arrow at 3D until at stake

I would think that you would see an increase in membership but there might be a few who don't like xbows not renew or not join

Comment

If someone wants to carry that heavy sucker around bad crank on it for two hours more power to 'em

Comment

We addressed this at Cowtown a year or so ago cause we had some interest. Joe Crawford contacted the target manufactures we use, Mckenzie for 3d and delta for bags, and we were told both will hold up the same as the faster compounds and xbows have about the same kinetic energy. We made a club decision to alloe them at club shoots as a fun shoot and would consider adding a class if we had enough interest, which we have not had as of yet. We do stress safe shooting practices when introducing all xbow folks as for not loading and cocking until it is their turn to fire at a target, keeping it pointed down range, etc. Hope this helps.
                              Last edited by hubbace; 03-09-2014, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X