No announcement yet.

Crossbows and 3D tournaments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen in the rules that there is a crossbow class. Never saw anyone using one. I thought about it and decided not to.

There's a couple of reasons I don't shoot a crossbow in 3D:
    1) most bowhunters I know kind of have a thing about crossbows and I don't want to be 'that guy'. There's enough things for people to find to complain about. No point throwing gas on the fire.
    2) the guys who run our club are friends of mine and I don't want to tear up their 3D targets - those things cost a fortune.
    Last edited by JP135; 04-14-2015, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Cowtown spoke to the target manufacturers a few years ago after TPWD made crossbows standard archery equipment for hunting as we had a fair amount of new prospective members asking if they could shoot them at our club and events. After both Delta and McKenzie reported that a crossbow arrow, will not damage a bag or 3D target any more than an arrow from most modern compound bows, we as a board spoke it over and came to the decision that we would allow them. We have not have many at club events, and the biggest issue has been people not lubing their arrows, as it is just as difficult to remove as an arrow shot out of a compound but even more so due to shorter length. We have not seen any significant target damage, nor have we had any safety issues, as all crossbow shooters are reminded of standard safety, such as cocking and loading the bow until it is your turn to shoot and aiming downrange at all times. You would not nock and draw an arrow in any other bow until that moment, so it really is not rocket science.

There is a lot of taboo to crossbows, but if you think about it, those that say it is not really archery, but yet still shoot wheels bows, are ignoring the fact that the stick shooters sometimes think the same thing about us compound hunter guys. Releases, let off, etc. So I guess it really is a matter of inclusion to me. The more the merrier, and as long as everyone is safe, and can have a great time, Cowtown welcomes you. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by jmark100 View Post
        We do not allow crossbows at Concho Valley Archery
        This policy was established by a club vote.
        The crossbows will do more damage on 3d targets and bag targets
        See you Saturday
        We @ Cowtown have not had any extra target wear on bags or 3D targets via crossbows, and I believe if you host an ASA Qualifier, you have to let them shoot if they show up, per email we received from mike at the start of the year.

Comment

Bump

Cathie, I'm a new member here and have been hunting the past 3 seasons with a crossbow and love it. In fact I like so much that I am looking for venues to compete in 3D with my crossbow. My reason for bringing this thread to the top again is to find out if you folks decided to let crossbows in or not, as I am within a couple hours of Lubbock and would certainly make the drive to compete.

Thanks
          JimB

Comment

Doubt the interest is 'really' there but I could be wrong. Wish they did so I could drag my xbow shootin' dad to them with me and laugh at our misfortunes together.

Comment

We (BCAC) have a few regulars who shoot crossbows, and there were crossbow shooters at most, if not all, of the ASA qualifiers I went to last year. I can only recall one qualifier where they weren’t allowed, and that was due to a city ordinance which the club was bound by.

Comment

Damage depends on the KE they are putting out.
                Shot with some crossbow guys in team shoot at ASA Pro Am.
                They were all over 100lbs of KE sticking in target deeper and harder to pull.
                It has to wear on the targets more.
                That being said, it doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Cathie View Post
                  South Plains Archery Club as been approached to add a crossbow class to our tournaments. I have a few questions and need help to make our decision.

1.) Are any other clubs allowing crossbows?
                  2.) Are the targets holding up with crossbow use as advertised?
                  3.) Do you charge more for crossbow access than with compound bows?
                  4.) Have you had any accidents?
                  5.) Have you seen a decrease in memberships since adding crossbows or has it helped membership?

Any feedback you can offer is greatly appreciated.
                  Brazos County opened up to crossbows a few years ago because several people requested it. We've had a few come out, but not as many as we thought would.

To answer your questions:
                  2.) Are the targets holding up with crossbow use as advertised? Yes, absolutely. ASA crossbow class is a 40 yard class and we use their rules. My problem with xbow shooters is they don't lube their bolts so they are harder to pull out. As far as deeper penetration... I don't know about that. The bolts are not nearly as long as arrows so it is hard to judge by looking at the part not in the target.

3.) Do you charge more for crossbow access than with compound bows? No. But we do require they maintain the speed limits at all times, even if just shooting the bag targets.

4.) Have you had any accidents? No. Like archery equipment, they cannot be loaded until they are ready to shoot. They must follow all safety protocols outlined in the ASA rules.

5.) Have you seen a decrease in memberships since adding crossbows or has it helped membership? No impact. Several members were concerned about the sound until they actually heard a crossbow being shot. It is a different sound, but not any louder than old compound bows.

When we adopted the crossbow class, we also created a new rule - absolutely no spears! Granted they might be safe, but the size of them really tears up the targets.

I know Buffalo Field has had difficulty in getting the city to allow them to allow crossbows, but it was a non-issue with the city of Bryan. Their response was, is it safe and does the insurance policy cover it? Our answer to both questions is - Yes.
                  Last edited by Dusty Britches; 01-10-2018, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Part of the resistance to crossbows seems to be the thought that they are for people "too lazy to learn to shoot a bow properly". I suppose that may be the case with some but keep in mind there are a lot of long time archers who can no longer draw a bow because of physical infirmities. Crossbows are a way for them to stay connected to a pastime they love - I don't see any reason to exclude them.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                      I don't know about any clubs that are allowing it, but ASA has a crossbow class at the pro ams. Target impact should be the same as compound bow usage, and I don't think it would be a good idea to charge more for xbow shooters.

It is all archery, and there is nothing to fear really, other than possibly safety concerns. And those can be addressed by having the xbow shooters not cock or load until they are at the stake, and they cannot use any aiming aids, such as bipods, or shooting sticks.
                      ^^^ This

Comment

I know very little about crossbows except this: I gave a friend of mine a Cabelas 3D deer target to practice on (with a Wicked Ridge crossbow) and at 20 yards the bolt would go completely through it. Moving back to 30 yards had the bolt buried so deeply he had to push it through and pull it out the back. Admittedly, a cheap Cabelas target is not as good as a range quality target, just food for thought.

Comment

The add, with a few years under our belt at Cowtown Bowmen Archery Club in Ft Worth, allowing Crossbows at all of our shoots [with the exception of the traditional only shoots], and I can tell you, personally shooting xbow class in ASA for 2 years now, as long as you lube your arrows, no issues. Cheaper made targets may be an issue, but when we adopted the change 3 years ago, we spoke to reps from Delta and McKenzie and both told us that xbows shooting at the allowed speeds [per ASA] dfo not damage their modern targets any more than the high speed compounds that they are making now days. Also to address safety. When we adopted the change, there were some that wanted new additional rules, but after further discussion, we all realized, Standard Safety Practices already dictate that, we just had to be more vocal and evident enforcing them. Like making sure all shooters understood they were not to draw their string and/or load an arrow prior to being their turn to shoot and standing at the stake. Once we did this, we have had zero issues. On one instance, I had to stop a xbow shooter who was beginning to cock his xbow using a crank, while sitting behind the shooters taking their turn at the target, but once he understood the reasoning behind the rules and best practices, he was on board and had no further issues. :-) A group of us at Cowtown regularly shoot xbow at ASA, Deerman and club level, and we do not take any extra time at the stake, in fact we practiced to make sure we would be able to do so within the rules time limits and you'd be surprised how hard it is to hold that heavy xbow up any longer than you have to. And yes, drawing it 30 times is sometimes fun. Especially in July championship shoots. :-) ASA has Xbow class at all qualifiers and even though the Deerman does not list it, Jimmy is more than willing to let you shoot in his events. Hope this updated info helps.

If anyone has any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at hubbace@live.com and I will be more than happy to help.
                          Thank you, Chuck.

Comment

Working...
                          X