Storing handguns around kids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storing handguns around kids?

How do y’all keep your carry gun with kids in the house? While you’re at home, overnight, while at work, etc? Loaded, or not?

How do you balance preparedness with safety? Obviously the safest option for a gun around kids is locked away in a safe. Not exactly easy to access in an emergency.

My son is only a few months old but he has me thinking about these things. Plus, my wife sometimes brings friends over who have kids of various ages. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Take the curiosity out of it is the best thing you can do. But in the interim before that time just keep it up high ready to go. A 2 foot toddler isn't going to be able to get to the top of a book shelf cabinet etc. Especially if it is isolated with nothing else to use to climb up it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Pistol safe locked and loaded .

Comment

In a spot where my kids know that they are not allowed. It is kept in my nightstand, with one in the chamber. I taught my kids not to touch them and educated them about firearms. They are 6 and 9 year old girls. Shotgun is right next to the bed and the same applies to it as well. All other guns are locked in the safe.

Comment

Mine sleeps on my nightstand, gets moved to a tall dresser when we get him out of his crib in the morning, goes with me all day, goes onto a tall china cabinet downstairs when I get home, and back up to the nightstand at night. If we have friends with kids come over it is in my belt or in the safe, no exceptions.

As soon as he is able to get out of bed on his own, it will live in my pistol safe next to the bed at night.

It does require being constantly aware of it’s position, not like “where did I leave my keys?”

Always loaded, one in the chamber, in the holster, hammer back with the safety on, since it is a single action.
          Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 12-14-2018, 09:14 PM.

Comment

my children were educated about gun safety starting at the age of 4, and frequently tested on it,,, saying no or don't touch is not only stupid but causes curiosity,,, remove the mystery and show the danger the very first impression of what a bullet does will last a lifetime,,, so pick an appropriate target for maximum effect ( i shot mud, left a large and lasting hole) it is better if they can get some surprise from the shot going off,,,, and i tested my kids regularly to make sure safety was always followed ,,,, they were never not allowed to touch but could only do so after the gun had been checked by me and they could tell me the process to make it safe, after that age they checked them first,,,, even at 18 my son would not get a gun out of his own closet unless it was known by everyone in the house,,,,

my simple rule was and is, if it is out of the safe "IT IS LOADED" the only unloaded guns were in the safe ,, if it came out of the safe it was considered loaded until placed back inside

Comment

I was educated very well at a very young age and I took it seriously from day one. That being said, every chance I had when alone I was messing with dads guns, even the ones that were hidden or up high. My guns are either on me or locked up, never had one stolen out of my vehicle that way either

Comment

Mine goes on top of my Gun safe. My little girl is only 18 months old but I’ve constantly got nieces and nephews in my house. They all know never to touch a gun and I’m adamant about it. I still never keep one in the chamber though. I can’t see any child being able to rack one in....:but it’s dang sure easy for them to just squeeze the trigger.

Comment

When I was about ten, my Daddy took me out to the edge of the woods and told me to watch carefully as he aimed his old single barreled 12 ga. at a small hickory tree. One shot of no. 6s cut that tree in half. It made a big impression on me.

To answer the question, there are only my grandkids in the house infrequently now, and the door to my bedroom stays shut, and they know not to pry.

Comment

I have a pistol safe attached to my side of the bed. I positioned it so if I woke up I can just reach down and hit the four digit code in the dark. The top pops up and my gun is sitting as if it was in a holster. I educated my kids and I feel they would never touch one but if you have ever had a teenage daughter everyday can be a new day.

Comment

Best thing I did with my kids (now 9 and 5) is let them coon finger every gun I had when they were younger and still do to this day. Once a week, I would get a gun out of the safe and put it on the bed with them. Let them go willy nilly with it. Yes, they are going to flag everyone and everything in the room, but the guns are clear as clear can get, all with clear chamber flags. Do this with each gun over a period of time, and it takes away all sense of curiosity. Albeit, they still know not to touch any firearm without dad or mom around, and haven't had the slightest issue so far. I have a 1911 nightstand gun always loaded and on safe, and my edc that ends up in several places. Plus my duty gun which stays loaded and in the holster on my belt, hanging on the caddy.

Do what you feel is right as you are the parent. These kind of questions are very subjective person to person and only you will be able to take comfort in your decision.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

keypad pistol safe anchored to nightstand

Comment

You have to be inventive depending on the age, you can screw a holster to a stud about six feet up behind a curtain or somewheres else and you are good to go for a while. Keep your mouth shut about it to EVERYONE. Every weapon I keep in such a manner has a thumb safety to add another step.

You need to remember when kids get to a certain age, they will find your weapon, period.

At that point its time for them to understand it’s power and maybe start understanding how it works because they might be at a friends house sometime and happen upon a weapon.

Last edited by Johnny44; 12-15-2018, 08:13 AM.

Comment

If I'm not sleeping, or exercising, I have it on my belt. Otherwise it's in the safe. Like all things safety related, keep it simple. When it is not immediately in your control on your person (in a holster since I've now met a few guys that don't actually put theirs in a holster), keep it where no one can mess with it, locked away.

That said, my son has seen me put it in my holster, and has sat with me cleaning the pistols. Everytime I explain to him exactly what it is, what we're doing, why I have it, etc. I don't expect him to fully understand that its a tool, but he knows I don't just allow him to play with it.

The only downside to this is that he associates it with mt gun belt, and will occasionally run over, pull up my shirt, and point to my belt, "belt! Belt!"

Comment

Locked up, unloaded at all times with kids in the house. Your kid might be able to be trusted, but their friends?

Comment

Working...
                              X