No announcement yet.

6.5 CM, 300 WIN, or 300 RUM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Either of the 300s. You aren’t going to want it to be an anchor if you carry it elk hunting.

Comment

Man the 7mag is about as close as you can get to a do it all round. I run a CM for everything including elk, but I have to let bulls walk I’d hammer without question with a 300.

For a deer size the CM is about as perfect as it gets. We shot 4 antelope and 3 whitetails in the last month, shots from 40 to 625 yards. Nothing has made it passed 30 yards (yet) out of the 20ish big game kills.

Getting great bullet expansion at all yardages, close it’s pretty explosive, passed 400 it’s been staying together averaging a golf ball exit. Running the cheap hornady American Gunner ammo (main reason I shot the round, sub moa at .70 a shot)
      Last edited by tradslam; 11-15-2018, 07:25 PM.

Comment

270 wsm

Comment

A 6.5cm might be a little light for a rutted up bull elk but that's what I took on a cow elk hunt last week. For the other 99% of my hunting it is more than enough. I love the accuracy, cheap ammo, and low recoil.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
            No doubt. Don't get on the 6.5 band wagon. For paper punching they're good, but nothing worth talking about as far as a hunting round.

Tell mine that. It’s killed whitetails, mule deer, antelope, elk, hogs, coyotes, and bob cats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
              This is a joke, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
              6 5mm fever is just a passing fad that started in 1894 in Scandinavia. It should die out any second now!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
                6 5mm fever is just a passing fad that started in 1894 in Scandinavia. It should die out any second now!!!

Oh yeah! What was I thinking? [emoji16]

It’s not like they’ve been killing moose with a 6.5mm for decades or anything.

Comment

Creedmore is an awesome round. Great BC. If I was buying one gun for North America it would be something other than a 6.5. Not enough to break down large game shoulder at 500 yards

Comment

I have a RUM but if you don't hand load go with 300 Win for more ammo choices and easier to find at most places.

Comment

Now a days smaller rounds can do alot more. Bullet choice is the big part. 6.5 Creed or 308 can bring most anything down easy. Put it in the right spot and a rutted bull doesn't matter if it can't breathe or pump blood to it's head.

Comment

Look into 6.5 x300 weatherby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is a joke, right?

While he obviously took it to the Extreme, is it not also extreme for the OP to group a Creedmore with a 300 WM & 300 RUM?

Comment

This is a joke, right?

Haters! Gotta lov’em. I shot a 250lb sow 2 weeks ago with off the shelf ammo and she ran 12’ from where I hit her! I’m ok with mine! Actually it’s my go to rifle!

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                              While he obviously took it to the Extreme, is it not also extreme for the OP to group a Creedmore with a 300 WM & 300 RUM?

No not really as you have the crew that feel the 6.5 ( its not just one guy ) is not enough for Large game OK so if you can say that then well you can group the rifles

Its easy 300 RUM as it will walk the dog past the 300WM hits harder further . So there you go one gun.

yep over kill for TX whitetale But 700+ on moose , Elk now the 300 RUM is right at home .

RUm ammo can be bought in 150 grn 165 180 200 210 just off the top of my head

yes I own a 300 RUM I also own a 6.5 CM .

Remington has a 150 low recoil round for it , there is your TX round

They offer a barnes bullet in 180 to be honest there is your kill everything round .

Also A Swift Scirocco Bonded in both 150 and 180 .

Bullet choice is very important for that caliber . I used to load for it but at this point with the caliber born in 1999 19 almost 20 years later very soon the amount of box ammo has it covered unless you want something tailored

so the chart did not copy our of my data very well .. But you get the point add a good side vented brake to it and go . 1200-1400 is very doable with that caliber . It will really shine at long range I have killed with it at over the 1K make .

Suggested loads: .300 RUM Barrel length: 26”
                              No ID Sectional Density Ballistic Coefficient Observed MV Fps ME
                              Ft-lb’s
                              1 FL Rem 150gr Scirocco .226 .430 3450 3964
                              2 FL Rem 180gr Scirocco .271 .520 3250 4221
                              3 FL Rem 200gr A-Frame .301 .444 3030 4077
                              4 FL Fed 180gr TBBCT .271 .501 3200 4092
                              5 FL Fed 200gr Partition .301 .481 3070 4185
                              6 HL 165 gr SST/IB .248 .447 3400 4235
                              7 HL 180gr SST/IB .271 .480 3300 4352
                              8 HL 180gr Speer BTSP .271 .545 3300 4352
                              9 HL 200gr Woodleigh Mag .301 .450 3150 4406
                              10 HL 200gr Accubond .301 .588 3150 4406
                              11 HL 208gr A-Max .313 .648 3100 4438
                              12 HL 240gr Woodleigh .361 .401 2800 4177
                              Last edited by HDWRENCH; 11-16-2018, 08:10 AM.

Comment

LOl people get real butt hurt about the whole 6.5 deal. First, I never said a 6.5 wouldn't kill anything (I've owned one and killed plenty with it). Second it was more of a joke than anything. But it's no doubt a fad and it's kinda funny.

Comment

Working...
                                X