No announcement yet.

Chevy diesel 4x4 in mud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep like above said, diesels are heavy but ford and dodge are better in deep mud, and tires make a big difference.

Comment

My 16 is good with the traction control off. Almost got stuck when I didn’t have the traction control off. I learned the same lesson.

Comment

All of those great features will cause you to bury your truck in some really bad, remote spots. A few years ago, I had to pull two 3/4 ton Chevy 4x4's that my Navajo Game Warden Buddys were driving. These pickups had the traction control.
        Surprising thing was I did it with my Ford Ranger and a long jerk line.
        Adios,
        Gary

Comment

Speaking from Ford diesel experience, tires make all the difference between a diesel totally sucking in mud and kinda sucking in mud....and all terrains lean more toward totally sucking than kinda sucking.

Look at the Dodge a few posts up with the more aggressive mud shedding tires. No wonder it's owner does well in the mud
          Last edited by Smart; 10-26-2018, 11:57 AM.

Comment

You can turn off the stabiltrac off as well if you hold down on the traction control buttom.

Comment

The two 3/4 tons I pulled out were the gassers.
              One of my lion hunting buddies from Montana purchased a new Tacoma and it took him several tries to shut the computer off so that we could get out of a snow bank. On the second jackpot, we never could get the computer to shut down so that we could get any power and I had to pull him out.
              Adios,
              Gary

Comment

My one ton Duramax bites in the mud. Even with the traction control off.

Comment

Nearly got in a few binds in utah last week. 4x4 long bed crew cab duramax with highway tires. Go down roads that were frozen in the morning and try to leave that evening after they thawed. Hitting the traction control button for 10 seconds to turn off traction control and stabilitrak helped. But in the end we had to run chains on all 4 tires.

Comment

Yep. Traction control. I thought my truck was broken first time I hit mud in it.

Comment

It takes serious mud tires to make a diesel barely ok in the mud!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                        The two 3/4 tons I pulled out were the gassers.
                        One of my lion hunting buddies from Montana purchased a new Tacoma and it took him several tries to shut the computer off so that we could get out of a snow bank. On the second jackpot, we never could get the computer to shut down so that we could get any power and I had to pull him out.
                        Adios,
                        Gary
                        A tip for the future. Depending on the make of the vehicle, you can pull the fuse for the ABS/VSC/ESC/RSC and it'll completely disable traction control. BUT do so at you're own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by doublearrow View Post
                          Nearly got in a few binds in utah last week. 4x4 long bed crew cab duramax with highway tires. Go down roads that were frozen in the morning and try to leave that evening after they thawed. Hitting the traction control button for 10 seconds to turn off traction control and stabilitrak helped. But in the end we had to run chains on all 4 tires.
                          On pretty much every vehicle the traction control stays off once you press the switch. When you hold it it'll disable stability control and the other stuff. BUT when you go over 35-45 MPH it automatically enables stability control again. Only way to fully disable is removing fuses or wiring in a switch to the fuse to shut it off and on easier. Or have a tune written to disable it.

Comment

Yep turn off traction control. Have to do it everyday here lately.

Comment

If you want all the power, all the time, in a newer duramax you have to get to get it deleted and tuned. The stock computer settings only lets you use all the power when your pulling a trailer. My buddy got stuck out by the lake and had the same problem as what the OP described. If you know your going to be in a lot of mud I would get you a set of tire chains that will turn your street tire into a super swamper pretty much.

Comment

Originally posted by keatonskidmore View Post
                                On pretty much every vehicle the traction control stays off once you press the switch. When you hold it it'll disable stability control and the other stuff. BUT when you go over 35-45 MPH it automatically enables stability control again. Only way to fully disable is removing fuses or wiring in a switch to the fuse to shut it off and on easier. Or have a tune written to disable it.
                                They just released tunes for this truck a couple of weeks ago way too expensive for the time being. As far as putting a switcher pulling these fuse I havenr seen anyone try it with the 17+ duramax. I think I'm stuck with it re enabling at speed for the time being.

Comment

Working...
                                X