Electrical Work on Residential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical Work on Residential

I just got this quote and I have no idea but it seems high to me has anybody else had any similar work done and how does this compare? Thanks in advance for the input.
    Attached Files

I quit reading after I saw $135 per plug to change out GFCI. I have done a ton of them and they are simple and cheap to purchase. I don't know about the rest of it.

Comment

it's hard to understand what is involved with most of it . I'm not sure what gfci
      receptacles are going for but not over $35 . Takes 20 minutes to change 1 out .
      That's $300 an hour for labor

Comment

Why is he making so many kitchen recepts GFCI? If you have that many it would be better to use a GFCI breaker. It's already code on new home construction anyway. He's already running a new circuit for the kitchen it looks like anyway along with some others so will already be in the open panel.

I have been out of the trade for about five years and did mostly commercial work but when we did resi work the new panels all came with GFCI breakers to meet code and it was far easier than cramming them into those already tight plastic boxes.

Comment

One problem with GFCI's is that they cannot share neutrals. Many home builders/electricians will run a 12/3 cable bringing in 2 circuits and splitting them as they see fit and it all will work as long as you use standard breakers. Once you go start sharing neutrals with mixed circuits, the GFI wont hold. So if that contractor is running new cables to get you independent neutrals to update your home, maybe the price is not out of line. But if it is just changing devices... I think price is way high.

Wait for Mike D to read this post. I believe he is a electrical contractor.

Comment

Run. Far far away. Every single item is high dollar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As a master electrician who owns an electrical contracting company, I HATE to throw stones...but that estimate seems ludicrous. I work in Houston, and we aren't cheap by any means, but I can't imagine that we would bill anywhere near that for the work shown.

To me, it looks like they have used a unit cost for everything, rather than break it down and actually bid it correctly. To put it into perspective, our hourly billing rate is $120/hour...so, if I am reading it correctly, they are charging one hour of labor plus materials PER GFCI receptacle. Ridiculous.

That's the great thing about bids though, you can take them or leave them. Shop around.

Comment

this guys TECL number traces back to his personal address. It’s a guy that works out of his house and there’s no telling what his track record is as a electrical contractor. Chances are he’s not even the master holder. You got to be careful with guys like this.

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
                  As a master electrician who owns an electrical contracting company, I HATE to throw stones...but that estimate seems ludicrous. I work in Houston, and we aren't cheap by any means, but I can't imagine that we would bill anywhere near that for the work shown.

To me, it looks like they have used a unit cost for everything, rather than break it down and actually bid it correctly. To put it into perspective, our hourly billing rate is $120/hour...so, if I am reading it correctly, they are charging one hour of labor plus materials PER GFCI receptacle. Ridiculous.

That's the great thing about bids though, you can take them or leave them. Shop around.
                  Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                  this guys TECL number traces back to his personal address. It’s a guy that works out of his house and there’s no telling what his track record is as a electrical contractor. Chances are he’s not even the master holder. You got to be careful with guys like this.

Two electricians say his high as giraffe ******.

It also makes me wish I was still doing it

Comment

And to top it all off.....you are nort of Dallas and the license is here in spring

Comment

This guy should be reported actually

Comment

Also not legal to add exterior plug off the fridge circuit

Comment

He's a crook

Comment

Maybe he just don’t want the job. But went ahead and gave a number so if he gets the job it’s well worth his time.

Next I’m not sure how reading his quote you could tell how difficult the job would be. Example would be my attic to get to the panel impossible I had extra strings so I could pull romex latter and my kitchen has my furnace directly above it

Just saying guys

Op it’s always best to get three estimates and be sure you give each the same scope

Comment

I’m an electrical contractor and his prices seem high. But as someone said above it’s an estimate and you can always call someone else. It cost him his time, gas, and potential future work from you or any possible referrals. Bad business.
                              Last edited by Deadfall65; 05-31-2018, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X