Minimum draw weight for expandibles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minimum draw weight for expandibles

After reading the thread about 50-60lb bows, I was thinking (dangerous I know) what would be the minimum draw weight that would allow for good penetration and function of an expandible broadhead?

I know the opinions will probably be all over the place, but I am curious what the braintrust here thinks.

my son shot a rage 40ke out of a 48lb bow and zipped through a number of animals. . . . . . also didn't get get pass throughs on a number.

I shoot at 62 lbs and crush a lot of animals . . . .thats the peak on a 50-60. I'd be far more worried about the amount of KE i was getting then the poundage.

Comment

Which head(s) are you looking at ?

Each Mfg. typically have their own "requirements".

Some suggest draw weight, while others have recommended KE.

You have 1-1/8"cut to heads with 2" +. etc

I have e-mails from certain manufacturers who recommend 60# DW, while others recommend 65# "KE". A lot depends on your setup = DW + Arrow weight

Comment

I know this isn't the answer you are looking for. There are a lot of fixed heads that fly great. Slick tricks and shuttle Ts are great flying heads

Comment

I can't remember my arrow weight off the top of my head (written down at the house) so I will figure my Ke once I get that. I pull a 50# Z7xtreme with 27" draw length, I currently shoot a cut on contact fixed blade....G5 Montec or a Magnus Stinger, I had read yesterday that G5 was making a new expandable with a cut on contact head...toying with that idea.

Comment

Originally posted by T/Chmr View Post
            I can't remember my arrow weight off the top of my head (written down at the house) so I will figure my Ke once I get that. I pull a 50# Z7xtreme with 27" draw length, I currently shoot a cut on contact fixed blade....G5 Montec or a Magnus Stinger, I had read yesterday that G5 was making a new expandable with a cut on contact head...toying with that idea.

Stay with fixed. You'll be better off in the long run with that set up.

Comment

Agreed unless you are a 29" dl or longer with only 50-55# stay fixed. There are several great fixed heads out there ramcats slick tricks Magnus grim reaper hades trophy taker just to name a few.

Comment

I was using the Rage on my old set up. 26.5 DL and shooting about 55#. Had horrible results. up'ed my poundage to 63# and shoot the rages just fine. I did not get enough umph from 55# for the head to open constantly.

this was just my experience with them. My husband shoots at 72# and has never had a problem with the rage's

Comment

Thx for the input.....I think I'll just "dance with the one I brung". The buck in my avatar was shot at 22yds quartering away, went in at the last rib and poked out the off side shoulder, not a complete pass thru but the Magnus Stinger made it thru the shoulder and out thru the skin. He went about 30-35yds

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                    Stay with fixed. You'll be better off in the long run with that set up.
                    X2

Comment

I shoot a 60 lb bow my arrows weigh 420 grains with a Grim Reaper Hog Head.

With a 32" draw length

Comment

Depends on the broadhead. A larger cut will require more horsepower.

Bigger head more KE you will need.

If you are shooting less than 40lb draw weight I would recommend you shoot a fixed blade like a Grim Reaper Hades.

Comment

Originally posted by Okiehunter View Post
                          Depends on the broadhead. A larger cut will require more horsepower.

Bigger head more KE you will need.

If you are shooting less than 40lb draw weight I would recommend you shoot a fixed blade like a Grim Reaper Hades.

It is beyond me why folks that like a 3 blade fixed aren't all over this head. It's been out for several years now. Great flight, stupid sharp blades, easy to re sharpen, tough and has one of the best chisel tips in my view of any broad head.

Comment

It is beyond me why folks that like a 3 blade fixed aren't all over this head. It's been out for several years now. Great flight, stupid sharp blades, easy to re sharpen, tough and has one of the best chisel tips in my view of any broad head.
                            Beats me. I think some stuff sells better in some parts of the country than others. I also think it has to do with advertising. The bigger archery stores here don't even offer the Hades and only sale the Whitetail Special and none of the other Reapers. Lots of guys want to support the local "pro" shop but they don't do a good job of offering what is available. O-well.

Here is the Hades;

Comment

Originally posted by T/Chmr View Post
                              After reading the thread about 50-60lb bows, I was thinking (dangerous I know) what would be the minimum draw weight that would allow for good penetration and function of an expandible broadhead?

I know the opinions will probably be all over the place, but I am curious what the braintrust here thinks.

There is one right off the top of my head you could try due to the fact it does not hardly rob any KE/momentum on impact. Shwaker.

Comment

Working...
                              X