Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about jumping in...help!

Hey folks,

I'm thinking about getting a long bow and start my traditional quest. But have a couple of questions.

1st I have a 32" draw length, most bows are 40#, 50#, 60# @ 28" or so. How bad does it stack past the 28" mark? not sure what poundage to get me to about 50# to start with.

2nd what type of arrows would you like I would need with this type of set up?

Any advice or recommendations are appreciated!!

Talon

I am assuming your 32" draw length is with a compound? If so, your DL with a trad bow is likely to be considerably shorter. "Stacking" varies from bow to bow, but I think the average is probably 2-2.5lbs per inch past 28. Most bowyers will recommend a longer bow for longer draw lengths. For example, Bob Lee recommends a or 64" or longer bow for draw lengths of 30" or greater.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
      I am assuming your 32" draw length is with a compound? If so, your DL with a trad bow is likely to be considerably shorter. "Stacking" varies from bow to bow, but I think the average is probably 2-2.5lbs per inch past 28. Most bowyers will recommend a longer bow for longer draw lengths. For example, Bob Lee recommends a or 64" or longer bow for draw lengths of 30" or greater.
      yes 32 when I was shooting finger in my compound

Comment

I don't know how big a boy you are, but I'd recommend starting with a drastically lower poundage then you think.

Comment

My draw length on my recurve is actually 1.5 inches longer than on my compound. My Sarrels Puma says 53# at 28 inch draw. Bob measured it at 57# at 29.5. I am new to this game as well and still learning. My arrows are Easton axis trad 400's cut to 31.5 with 100 grain inserts and 100 grain heads. I believe full length arrows are 32 inches so I have no idea what you should do. I would suggest you get in touch with Bob Sarrels and seek his advice. No way you can shoot a 32 inch arrow with a 32 inch draw. Good luck.

Comment

How big an ole boy are you ?

Comment

6'5" 289lbs

Comment

Lots of guys will tell you to start light on draw weight. My first bow was 52# then 58# now I shoot a 64# recurve and a 55# longbow. Go shoot a few at different poundage and go with what fits you....as far as the 32" draw length I would say you will be 29.5" or so but may be wrong. You would do well to stop by a good custom bow builders shop and get it all worked out. Good luck

Clay

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                  This is a textbook answer to the question.

I would recommend heavy carbon arrows, with feathers not vanes, spined to fly like darts.

Read the stickys at the top if you have not.

Comment

I pull right at 30" and Dan Toelke recommended I go with a 64" bow. Both of mine are right at 55lbs at 30". I have another one that is 54lbs at 28". It feels substantially stronger at my draw length than the other two although I've never measured the pull weight at that length.

Comment

Working...
                    X