No announcement yet.

Oak trees are killing my grass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been dealing with 2 monsters for 15 years. They are at least 60 years old and 6 feet across at the base.
    Tried thinning, leaving alone, and have always had grass. Yes I have a sprinkler system and I use Micro Life fertilizer twice a year. I have a couple of brown spots this year that will come back this spring.
    Tried the zoisa grass in the dogs run area last spring and it is almost all dirt again this year.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by thorthunder View Post
      I have been dealing with 2 monsters for 15 years. They are at least 60 years old and 6 feet across at the base.

Tried thinning, leaving alone, and have always had grass. Yes I have a sprinkler system and I use Micro Life fertilizer twice a year. I have a couple of brown spots this year that will come back this spring.

Tried the zoisa grass in the dogs run area last spring and it is almost all dirt again this year.

No grass will grow in a dog run if you use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by MySRT8U View Post
        No grass will grow in a dog run if you use it.

Seriously thinking Astro turf......

Comment

Originally posted by thorthunder View Post
          Seriously thinking Astro turf......

The quality stuff will run you at least $12/sq ft

Comment

more water, roots sucking all moisture out and out competing grass. Sun would be nice but even with more sun light I believe majority of your problem is lack of water for grass to survive. I have no idea what I am talking about and did not stay at a holiday inn. Use my advice as real advice at your own transgression.

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
              more water, roots sucking all moisture out and out competing grass. Sun would be nice but even with more sun light I believe majority of your problem is lack of water for grass to survive. I have no idea what I am talking about and did not stay at a holiday inn. Use my advice as real advice at your own transgression.
              This, the best St. Augustine yards I have seen under large oaks seem to always have a sprinkler system. But that an get expensive.

Comment

[QUOTE=Beargrasstx;12288932]more water, roots sucking all moisture out and out competing grass. Sun would be nice but even with more sun light I believe majority of your problem is lack of water for grass to survive.

Oaks have 2 root systems. Deep stabilizer roots and a surface mat that looks like a fishing net. It brings in water and nutrients, and is twice as large at the canopy. 30' canopy - 60' roots. I have roots in 2 neighbors front yards.
                I watch the soil and never allow cracks from it getting dry, and I sprinkle one neighbors front yard when I do mine.

Water - water - water.......

Comment

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
                  My oak tree has been dropping brown leaves like it's fall like crazy. Anyone one else experiencing the same?
                  That's what Live Oaks do every March. It's normal.

Comment

St.Augustine is a "full sun" grass..It tolerates shade to a degree.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Try Palmetto St Augustine.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                        Depending on the amount of shade, you very well may be fighting a losing battle. Even St Augustine needs 5-6 hours of direct sun to thrive over the long run. I trimmed limbs and planted sod only to have it die out in the second year. I finally gave up on turf grass directly under the trees. I surrounded them with edging and planted shade tolerant ground cover like giant Liriope and Asian jasmine.
                        Hard to grow grass in the shade. Good alternative offered here.

Comment

My local grass farm recommends Floratam to use under full shade trees.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input. I am going to do some more trimming so that will help but I will also do more watering as well. The grass I have is San Augustine, is there a grass that I can plant with it that will grow better?

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysinshorts View Post
                              Thanks everyone for your input. I am going to do some more trimming so that will help but I will also do more watering as well. The grass I have is San Augustine, is there a grass that I can plant with it that will grow better?

Amerishade is a hybrid st Augustine that was developed to thrive in full shade. Zoysia also does very well in full shade. I have a massive red oak in my front yard and my zoysia thrives under it

Comment

Originally posted by MySRT8U View Post
                                Amerishade is a hybrid st Augustine that was developed to thrive in full shade. Zoysia also does very well in full shade. I have a massive red oak in my front yard and my zoysia thrives under it

Do you buy those two in seed form or sod?

Comment

Working...
                                X