Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening to whenever. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
    Hunted with two new blood brothers today. Had a great hunt "off of 6" and drew blood. Complete pass through watched it run away with my arrow sticking out near its a-hole. It was with a group that was moving through the blood weeds and started coming at me with only an angling toward shot available we tracked it a long ways and lost blood. Great hunt. Wish I woulda found it but lots of piogs between 5 and 6. Go hunt'em!!
    Man that sucks!!!!how big was pig? what broadhead? i remember i had a year when i stuck 5 or 6 pigs and only recovered 3, them suckers are so tough, i stopped losing pigs when i went from a 100 grain 4 blade muzzy to a 2-blade rage......at least you guys are coming across pigs.......they are so loud in the blood weeds and alot of times you only hear and see the weeds moving, gets frustrating......i always try to cut them off....THAT PIG IS DEAD THOUGH....COYOTE FOOD.

Comment

man that a blast today Lots of walking But was a blast learned lots

Comment

Originally posted by TXUSNAVYCHIEF View Post
        Man that sucks!!!!how big was pig? what broadhead? i remember i had a year when i stuck 5 or 6 pigs and only recovered 3, them suckers are so tough, i stopped losing pigs when i went from a 100 grain 4 blade muzzy to a 2-blade rage......at least you guys are coming across pigs.......they are so loud in the blood weeds and alot of times you only hear and see the weeds moving, gets frustrating......i always try to cut them off....THAT PIG IS DEAD THOUGH....COYOTE FOOD.
        2 blade rage. I'm sure I hit her right behind the jaw bone and the arrow was hanging out her back end. Found the arrow. Covered In blood and what blood we found she was dropping from the front entry wound. She was big. I wouldn't have shot her but she pegged me as the other were moving through the weeds to cross the road and started coming at me. I shot her at maybe ten yards. Great hunt. Just wish I woulda found her. She's dead no doubt. But just can't believe how far she ran with that two inch rage from front to back in her.

Comment

You guys sure aren't afraid to post your locations of where you are seeing these pigs. You'll have everyone ruining your area very quickly if you keep posting the location on this forum. Just saying you might want to keep those details to the private messages. Im glad to hear about the success though. How to get out there and join you guys soon.

Comment

WOW, same thing happened to me in 2009, i was right behind the tank and in front of the primative camp, shot a huge sow by the swamp, she ran all the way out into the middle of the blood weeds prob 400 yards, the only reason i found her is my buddy climbed up in one of those big willows below the tank and kind of out in the middle of the blood weeds, you know that finger or row of big older willows, anyway my buddy tommy from thorndale was able to climb up pretty high and spot a black spot and directed me to it, was a 250 pound sow, i will see if i can post a pic, she had 8 or so piglets in her, i bet you there is alot of ripe sows out there right now.......did yall find any nests or babies???they should be dropping now.
            Last edited by NAVY CHIEF; 02-02-2013, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bosshawg401 View Post
              You guys sure aren't afraid to post your locations of where you are seeing these pigs. You'll have everyone ruining your area very quickly if you keep posting the location on this forum. Just saying you might want to keep those details to the private messages. Im glad to hear about the success though. How to get out there and join you guys soon.
              hogs at granger move every day, never at the same place we post so it's not a big deal, Chris will second this, they will swim across the lake or the river without hesitation, i will bet there is at least a thousand pigs out there, so we can share and it's no big deal.....but don't be like some of these guys taking pics of your stand and or setup, i grew up on this lake and can pin point just about every tree!!!! these young newbies to the forum will learn once some of their stuff gets nabbed, i hate thieves but i only trust the ones i hunt with.......fyi

Comment

Originally posted by TX_bowhunter37 View Post
                man that a blast today Lots of walking But was a blast learned lots
                Sounds like u had a good time! Good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by bosshawg401 View Post
                  Not worried about it. I encourage everyone to hunt 5 and 6 ASAP.

Comment

2009 granger sow

Chris, here's that big one from 09, that ran 400 yds double lunged.....behind primative camp, i think she was closer to 3 hundred with all the piglets inside..
                    Attached Files

Comment

Chris, here's that big one from 09, that ran 400 yds double lunged.....behind primative camp, i think she was closer to 3 hundred with all the piglets inside..
                      Jeez. The one I shot was big but not like that. How does the breeding and the birthing go? When do they mate and drop piglets. I didn't see any real small ones with this group. And they nest?

Comment

Where are yiu talking about between 5 and 6?

Comment

Originally posted by jkuroski1973 View Post
                          Way to go Bill, given away our secrets. Go gettem' Carnage.
                          yep gotta learn to keep your mouth shut on where you see them

Comment

i can look at this pic and tell where your blind is, we call it the florida point, mouth of the river!!! good luck, i kill alot of pigs in those old willows, but only when the blood weeds are high right in between.......hope no jerks screw with your setup....looks good.. my only other guess would be the sore finger!!!good luck...
                            nope that was my setup till a few jerks and idiots started messing with it and hunting out of it!

Comment

Saw,some small onea but not any piglets

Comment

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
                                Jeez. The one I shot was big but not like that. How does the breeding and the birthing go? When do they mate and drop piglets. I didn't see any real small ones with this group. And they nest?
                                At granger the sows usually have 2 litters, drop every 6 months, once around august and the other in jan-feb, they can go into heat at 6 months of age and have litters from 2 to 10 piglets at a time depending on the size of the sow and the availability of food/water , and they build nest like a field rat but multiplied times 20, a sow with gather grass with her mouth and dig out an indention in the ground and make a nest......it's a cool thing to find, they are only in the nest for about a week then they can already keep up with her......almost like a quail when they hatch they can go.....also they can survive without a sow after 4 weeks.....that's why we will always have hogs in Tx,,,,and at granger lake.

Comment

Working...
                                X