No announcement yet.

Viking Archery “Antique”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still have 2 viking bows. And Yes Oscar, they indeed manufactured bows completely from scratch... Those later bows like that one had machined risers that they machined themselves right there in their shop on Honeywell St. They laminated their own limbs and machined the wheels and made the strings. The cables were metal with those little cast aluminum T-hooks on the ends. I have an even earlier model that has a cast aluminum riser that was manufactured by them in about 1981... Viking was WAY ahead of their time when compound bows were really gettin' going... Back when they were in their hay day, Tim ordered arrow shafts 1000 dozen at a time and went through about 4 orders a year that size. They also manufactured traditional strings and compound strings for about every other bow manufacturer in the country back then.

Their downfall came from 2 things... Tim Whiteford couldn't stay on his meds (happy pills), and him Lannie (his wife), and both of his sons all absolutely hated the "computer age" and completely refused to have anything to do with them, the internet or anything on line... Dang shame too because Tim was probably one of the best bowyers that has ever lived.

Comment

I believe that's a Viking terminator II with wood core limbs, terminator 'I' didn't have the cut outs for the sight pins. I shot one for years and still have it, the old man had his issues but that bow was way ahead of its time. Short story- I stopped shooting wheel bows in 1996 and shot trad, a buddy I shot 3D with keep giving me a hard time about not being able to compete with a wheel bow anymore so in 2003 I knocked the dust off that old Viking and went with him to the Montgomery country shoot and shot a 326 with a 15yr old bow.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
        I still have 2 viking bows. And Yes Oscar, they indeed manufactured bows completely from scratch... Those later bows like that one had machined risers that they machined themselves right there in their shop on Honeywell St. They laminated their own limbs and machined the wheels and made the strings. The cables were metal with those little cast aluminum T-hooks on the ends. I have an even earlier model that has a cast aluminum riser that was manufactured by them in about 1981... Viking was WAY ahead of their time when compound bows were really gettin' going... Back when they were in their hay day, Tim ordered arrow shafts 1000 dozen at a time and went through about 4 orders a year that size. They also manufactured traditional strings and compound strings for about every other bow manufacturer in the country back then.

Their downfall came from 2 things... Tim Whiteford couldn't stay on his meds (happy pills), and him Lannie (his wife), and both of his sons all absolutely hated the "computer age" and completely refused to have anything to do with them, the internet or anything on line... Dang shame too because Tim was probably one of the best bowyers that has ever lived.

So X10 Archery is the son, Scott. From a google search, it looks like it’s still there. Very interesting. Thanks, slick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Some one mentioned a while back that Viking was in Boerne now. Used to be near Canyon Lake. One of my customers told me a story one time about Tim.

My customer is a big ol boy and a pipe line welder, he stopped at the Canyon Lake store and found a used bow in there. He asked Tim if he knew the draw length and if he could shoot it. Tim started talking real bad to Gordon and told him to hang the bow up and go away. Gordon hung the bow up, turned around and grabbed ol Tim and started to pull him over the counter. Tim got away and locked his self in the back room and his wife started screaming. I have never seen Gordon mad, but I reckon it would take 2 grown men and a axe handle to slow him down.

Comment

Yep, Radar ol' Tim had that effect on people!

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
              Some one mentioned a while back that Viking was in Boerne now. Used to be near Canyon Lake. One of my customers told me a story one time about Tim.

My customer is a big ol boy and a pipe line welder, he stopped at the Canyon Lake store and found a used bow in there. He asked Tim if he knew the draw length and if he could shoot it. Tim started talking real bad to Gordon and told him to hang the bow up and go away. Gordon hung the bow up, turned around and grabbed ol Tim and started to pull him over the counter. Tim got away and locked his self in the back room and his wife started screaming. I have never seen Gordon mad, but I reckon it would take 2 grown men and a axe handle to slow him down.
              Lucky Tim didn’t shoot him. Heard stories of him pulling guns on people

Comment

Ol Gordon is very laid back and has that gentle giant personality. I never thought of him to get mad very easy. I was surprised he even told me the story.
                Tim was probably caught off guard and got scared.

Comment

The old man was bipolar...he had to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
                    The old man was bipolar...he had to be.
                    Back then I was not familiar with mental health diseases. Coming from deep south Louisiana I was intimately familiar with hatred......I was done after two visits. I hope them the best, but to many good shops to deal with negativity.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                      So X10 Archery is the son, Scott. From a google search, it looks like it’s still there. Very interesting. Thanks, slick

Noooo! It is a completely different owner, business, model and setup. The new owner is.... Me!

Scott closed the doors in November 2014, and I opened my doors in December 2014. We are primarily target archery with a big emphasis on lessons, rentals, and events. We do retail and tech work, too. Very happy to have the largest teaching academy in the state!

Not a week goes by where someone doesn't come in talking about Viking. (They're in Canyon Lake now).

Comment

Tim was a grumpy old bastage.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynda View Post
                          Noooo! It is a completely different owner, business, model and setup. The new owner is.... Me!

Scott closed the doors in November 2014, and I opened my doors in December 2014. We are primarily target archery with a big emphasis on lessons, rentals, and events. We do retail and tech work, too. Very happy to have the largest teaching academy in the state!

Not a week goes by where someone doesn't come in talking about Viking. (They're in Canyon Lake now).
                          I had no idea that place had new ownership. Myself, like many others, went in that place twice and swore I’d never use them again. I’ll definitely give you my business. Did you change the name? Got a website?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                            Wow! Thanks guys. I heard that the son, the long-haired hippyish guy, could turn you an AWESOME custom, wood grip while you waited. Too bad about the CS... Guess it runs in the family.

At any rate, any idea as to the manufacturer?

My cousin had a browning that look real similar to that and it had wood limbs.

Comment

I thought the old store on 59 caught fire several years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by Lynda View Post

Oops... Sorry, Lynda. Y'all should start a marketing campaign. "NOT Viking-Affiliated"

Comment

Working...
                                X