X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

drink milk after you weld the Galvanized stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Joey~AP View Post
      No. Just dont breath the fumes. It winr hut ewe ef u dew, do.
      I think I have located a source for some 1/8" flat bar that I can trim to the correct sizes, clamp up and weld away. Stay tuned.

Comment

After Caleb and I toured the Vintage Park “Coffee and Cars” Show on Saturday morning (http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...60#post5236160), I was a bit motivated to do some work on Sue.

My dad cut me some 1/8” flat bar into 1” squares. These were ideal for going on the underside of the dash holes for ‘filling’. While I am no professional welder, the holes are ‘full’ enough now where the paint and body dude / dudette can smooth them over with bondo / filler.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4462.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	24071313

Name:	IMG_4463.JPG
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	24071314

In preparation for the paint and body shop, I finished removing the remaining portions of the electrical harness and various pieces of tubing.

Name:	IMG_4464.JPG
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	24071315

Onto the rear apron… I ordered two (2) separate pieces to take the place of the damaged apron. I apologize for the poor lighting…I had to turn Sue around 180 degrees in anticipation for using the welder.

Name:	IMG_4465.JPG
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	24071316

Now I know I said I was not professional welder, but I would have at least ground this down to look a bit more purty…

Name:	IMG_4466.JPG
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	24071317

Several minutes with my grinder, a ball peen hammer and chisel and it was out.

Name:	IMG_4467.JPG
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	24071318

Here is the new center third section…

Name:	IMG_4469.JPG
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	24071319

…but we have a problem. This gap is, undoubtedly, due to an impact at some point in time. This is when I put things up. I will have the paint and body shop figure this one out…

Name:	IMG_4468.JPG
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	24071320

And note to self…pick up a long sleeved denim shirt before doing any more welding…OUCH

Name:	IMG_4471.JPG
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	24071321

Until next time…

Comment

Originally posted by KHo View Post
          After Caleb and I toured the Vintage Park “Coffee and Cars” Show on Saturday morning (http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...60#post5236160), I was a bit motivated to do some work on Sue.

My dad cut me some 1/8” flat bar into 1” squares. These were ideal for going on the underside of the dash holes for ‘filling’. While I am no professional welder, the holes are ‘full’ enough now where the paint and body dude / dudette can smooth them over with bondo / filler.
          [ATTACH]335555[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]335556[/ATTACH]

In preparation for the paint and body shop, I finished removing the remaining portions of the electrical harness and various pieces of tubing.
          [ATTACH]335557[/ATTACH]

Onto the rear apron… I ordered two (2) separate pieces to take the place of the damaged apron. I apologize for the poor lighting…I had to turn Sue around 180 degrees in anticipation for using the welder.
          [ATTACH]335558[/ATTACH]

Now I know I said I was not professional welder, but I would have at least ground this down to look a bit more purty…
          [ATTACH]335559[/ATTACH]

Several minutes with my grinder, a ball peen hammer and chisel and it was out.
          [ATTACH]335560[/ATTACH]

Here is the new center third section…
          [ATTACH]335561[/ATTACH]

…but we have a problem. This gap is, undoubtedly, due to an impact at some point in time. This is when I put things up. I will have the paint and body shop figure this one out…
          [ATTACH]335562[/ATTACH]

And note to self…pick up a long sleeved denim shirt before doing any more welding…OUCH
          [ATTACH]335563[/ATTACH]

Until next time…
          and heavy starch the sleeves...

Comment

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
            and heavy starch the sleeves...
            10-4

Comment

mig will do it everytime

Comment

Ttt for Joey...thinking I may have paint and remaining body work quoted this week.

Comment

Just let me know when you want me to come haul it off for you!
                  Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
                  l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
                  ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

Originally posted by Joey~AP View Post
                    Just let me know when you want me to come haul it off for you!
                    LOL...I won't let my wife see that comment as I know what her answer would be..."...you available this evenin'?"

Comment

I will call her.
                      Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
                      l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
                      ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

Someone asked me for an update so I figured I would head back here...not too much to update as I have Sue as far as I can get her with the funding that has been allotted. I have the engine for sale as I am going with a new, crate 1776...eventually. The next order of business, which is right around the corner, is paint. TBH's own 'The Real McCoy' will be giving Sue her color in late March / early April. I can't wait to see Colby's and his shop's work...and he has seen Sue first hand...so he knows she needs some work. Shannon, I think, has decided on a color, but I will let Colby send some updates with photos once she hits his shop. Bare with me boys...Sue has a long road ahead of her...

Comment

Originally posted by KHo View Post
                          Someone asked me for an update so I figured I would head back here...not too much to update as I have Sue as far as I can get her with the funding that has been allotted. I have the engine for sale as I am going with a new, crate 1776...eventually. The next order of business, which is right around the corner, is paint. TBH's own 'The Real McCoy' will be giving Sue her color in late March / early April. I can't wait to see Colby's and his shop's work...and he has seen Sue first hand...so he knows she needs some work. Shannon, I think, has decided on a color, but I will let Colby send some updates with photos once she hits his shop. Bare with me boys...Sue has a long road ahead of her...
                          Following this thread as I had a 70 Ghia I built in HS. She had a crate 1835 with Dual Delorto's, very quick for such a light little car. Love the ole Vdubs. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by hubbace View Post
                            Following this thread as I had a 70 Ghia I built in HS. She had a crate 1835 with Dual Delorto's, very quick for such a light little car. Love the ole Vdubs. :-)
                            That's a lot of engine...bet she had some get up and go! It is amazing what you can put in the back of these things. I'm trying not to go overboard...1776 is a stretch for me as I was going to go back with a stock 1600.

Comment

1835 will bolt in just the same as a 1776...

Contrary to popular belief, bigger is most always better!

Comment

Wow, I am loving this. Used to own THREE Ghias - no kidding. Always wanted one and ended up with three. Two donated parts to keep one running. Had an electrical fire once - smoke pouring through the dashboard into the cockpit. Pulled over, popped the hood, saw a lot of melted wiring but the fire was out. Engine never quit, so I got back in and kept driving! Never knew what caused it and she never seemed much the worse for it. Windshiedl wipers were a bit off after that, iirc. Didn't have door latches until I got Ghia 3 so I held the doors shut with bungee cords. Go around a corner and they'd ooooppppennnnn outward and then pull shut.

My wife hated that car!

Keep up the good work!

Comment

Working...
                                X