Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cucumbers in a tomato cage

Brothers and Sisters of the Fire,
    My cucumbers are taking off - can I put a tomato cage around them or do they need to crawl on the dirt? The plant tab said to trellis wouldn't be the same thing?

I have a 5ft piece of old chain link fence that I use to have my cucumbers climb on. They do great every year. and they are already climbing nowand I have all kinds of blooms.

Comment

I think I read on here or another forum that a cage was the way to go, I believe they suggested using the goat or hog wire made into a circle.

Comment

A tomato cage works pretty good. Welded wire stock panels work better. I use the 6x6" as you can reach through them easier to pick.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkin STX Hank View Post
          I have a 5ft piece of old chain link fence that I use to have my cucumbers climb on. They do great every year. and they are already climbing nowand I have all kinds of blooms.
          This is what my grandfather does every year. His always do very well.

Comment

im using tomato cages on mine

Comment

Originally posted by Walkin STX Hank View Post
              I went out and took a picture of mine. I actually put seeds on both sides of the fence.
              Attached Files

Comment

I'm just worried about a pretty good size fruit dropping off the vine.

Comment

Originally posted by florissant View Post
                  I'm just worried about a pretty good size fruit dropping off the vine.
                  I never had that problem. Those vines are pretty tuff. I have had some long cucumbers all the way at the top and they do just fine.

Comment

I use these tomato cages I made myself. They work well and support the weight just fine. I use about 70" of wire fence to make 19-20 inch diameter cages. Those cucumbers are growing pretty fast right now.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Mine are growing on a cattle panel.

Comment

Mine are taking over didn't know they'd grow up wonder if it's too late to put em in one there about 3feet by 2 feet right now

Comment

Working...
                        X