BH for low poundage bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BH for low poundage bow

I am re-researching the best broadhead for my wife's setup. She's pulling 40# and 25.5".

Last year she double-lunged a good buck but didn't get a pass through. Blood wasn't easy to track with the single hole, granted she did hit him a bit high. He died about 200 yds away.

Last year's broadheads was the Dirt Nap Gear Double Bevel DRT Broadhead.

Suggestions from the GS are much appreciated.

Her first archery buck from last season. North Dakota 8-pt:

Comment

One more thing, in order to increase her FOC, I'm thinking I will switch her BH from 100 to 125gr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would stick to the basics and have her aim a little lower. Go for overall 2 blade designs +/- bleeders. Make sure the heads are razor sharp which is much easier with 2 blades. I always liked Magnus stingers, sliver flames, slick trick vipertrick and razortrick to name a few. Blood trail can be tough but if you hit them good they will die and not go far. I shot a fair number of animals back in the day with a 1 inch cut 2 blade steel force broadhead. Lots of times there was minimal blood but I would see them fall or walk 50 yards or so in the direction they went and there was a dead animal. Focus your energy on practice, shot placement and shot selection.

Comment

My girlfriend used them last year and had good luck with those exact heads on some hogs. Something to keep in mind is how big those northern deer are and how difficult it can be with a low poundage bow. I think an increase in FOC would help more than an actual BH change.

Comment

Originally posted by Fajkus7 View Post
            My girlfriend used them last year and had good luck with those exact heads on some hogs. Something to keep in mind is how big those northern deer are and how difficult it can be with a low poundage bow. I think an increase in FOC would help more than an actual BH change.

Another issue with this BH is the noise it make as it flies through the air. Do y'all notice a whistle sound? I'm sure it doesn't help the element of surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
              I would stick to the basics and have her aim a little lower. Go for overall 2 blade designs +/- bleeders. Make sure the heads are razor sharp which is much easier with 2 blades. I always liked Magnus stingers, sliver flames, slick trick vipertrick and razortrick to name a few. Blood trail can be tough but if you hit them good they will die and not go far. I shot a fair number of animals back in the day with a 1 inch cut 2 blade steel force broadhead. Lots of times there was minimal blood but I would see them fall or walk 50 yards or so in the direction they went and there was a dead animal. Focus your energy on practice, shot placement and shot selection.

Thanks, Doc. I will look into those BH's and likely move her to a better FOC for penetration by increasing to 125 gr. My goal is a pass through for her. We are also working toward 45# draw weight this year.

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
                Thanks, Doc. I will look into those BH's and likely move her to a better FOC for penetration by increasing to 125 gr. My goal is a pass through for her. We are also working toward 45# draw weight this year.
                when i m draw weight was low around 40 i shot slick trick 4 blades and worked well shot a few does and a javelina.

Comment

When I was looking into this last year I read a lot of recommendations for RamCat heads. Unfortunately the wife didn't get a shot on anything to test them out.

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post

Last year she double-lunged a good buck but didn't get a pass through. Blood wasn't easy to track with the single hole, granted she did hit him a bit high. He died about 200 yds away.
                    Welcome to bow hunting in the 80's and early 90's with aluminum arrows. No complete pass throughs and 200 yard tracks reminds me of the old days when my dad would stick deer with his Hoyt Pro Vantage and the latest greatest aluminum arrows. (He still has and uses that bow btw).

To answer your question I say just gave her use a fixed blade of your choice (I still use Thunderheads after 20+ years) and practice practice practice.

Comment

Wacem fixed 3blade. Razor sharp made here in the USA!!! My wife is in the same boat as yours. She usually passes through. If not she at least pokes out both sides of every deer and pig she has stuck! Good luck with the search if ya have any more question or would like to know more pm I'd be happy to help ya!

Comment

For low weight I suggest cut on contact heads. Not something with a trocar style tip. Those rob a little energy for penetration. Magnus Stingers are a great choice, I always used them in my trad days which your wifes 40# bow is probably putting out more KE and P (momentum) than some of the bows I was shooting. I dropped to 50# last year due to a bicep injury. I was shooting a light arrow and got a complete pass through a SW PA deer. The arrow was stuck 5" in the dirt. Obviously my shot placement was where it needed to be. I was using Solid Legends, but they are really expensive so there are cheaper options that work.

Comment

Magnus Stinger or Viper Trick

Comment

Magnus stingers

Comment

Magnus stingers. I honestly don't know why I ever changed, I killed a lot of hogs and a few deer with them. Great blood trails too.

Comment

Working...
                              X