Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are there any Kmart stores left in TX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Y'all should have got to shop at the Sears in downtown Dallas years ago. It was on Lamar St. 5 stories of pure greatness! My favorite hunting knife came from K-Mart in Plano.

Comment

One of the first departments to close at SEARS was automotive. Sucks for me since I travel for a living and usually put 35,000 - 40,000 miles per year on my tires and vehicle. I would catch Michelin tire sales of "buy 3 get 1 free". When tires needed rotating every month, I could stop at any SEARS in the State or across the Country and have it done for free. Within the last 11 months, the following LA store locations have closed: Lafayette, Lake Charles, Shreveport, Houma, Alexandria.... NOLA and BR will soon be next. Leaves an empty feeling inside seeing places that were once a staple of America and part of my childhood no longer in business. Man I miss my "toughskins"

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
        One of the first departments to close at SEARS was automotive. Sucks for me since I travel for a living and usually put 35,000 - 40,000 miles per year on my tires and vehicle. I would catch Michelin tire sales of "buy 3 get 1 free". When tires needed rotating every month, I could stop at any SEARS in the State or across the Country and have it done for free. Within the last 11 months, the following LA store locations have closed: Lafayette, Lake Charles, Shreveport, Houma, Alexandria.... NOLA and BR will soon be next. Leaves an empty feeling inside seeing places that were once a staple of America and part of my childhood no longer in business. Man I miss my "toughskins"
        Might want to look at Discount Tires since you travel and they seem to be everywhere!

Comment

Was on vacation in Kauai last month and there was a KMart there and open. Haven’t seen one open in years.

Comment

kmart was open in sweetwater as of 2 years ago. Clean nice store

Comment

Sears- I can remember the smell of new clothes for the start of school in September, most ordered from from a catalog rather than picking up at the store in Hot Springs, same catalog that my parents used in the outhouse when younger.

Comment

Blue Light special at Kmart and shopping for Cub Scout uniforms at the downtown Houston Sears. This was late 70s.

Comment

There are two Gibson's I know of that are still open Kerrville and Weatherford. The Gibson's in Duncan Oklahoma has closed from what I heard. K-mart had gotten so bad I haven't been in a store in at least 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                    Blue Light special at Kmart and shopping for Cub Scout uniforms at the downtown Houston Sears. This was late 70s.
                    I remember there usually being a constant smell of buttered popcorn at the Sears store toward the entrance into the center of the mall. Seems like it was some kind of large cart with a big popper and glass sides.

Tough Skins sure brings back memories. The smell of leather in the clothing department was wonderful. I really enjoyed the guns, fishing tackle, tools, and the lawn & garden section of Sears.

Comment

Did not even know Kmart was still alive. Montgomery Wards, JC Penny and Sears could not hang with Walmart, Target and Amazon.

Honestly my favorite store was Western Auto. They had a heck of a toy implement section and when I was little I went straight there. As I got older it was Western Flyer bicycles and Revelation guns. When we went to town on Saturday mom would go get groceries and dad would go to the feed mill, Western Auto and the ice house.Lol

Oh yeah them Toughskin britches took a month to break in.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                        Did not even know Kmart was still alive. Montgomery Wards, JC Penny and Sears could not hang with Walmart, Target and Amazon.

Honestly my favorite store was Western Auto. They had a heck of a toy implement section and when I was little I went straight there. As I got older it was Western Flyer bicycles and Revelation guns. When we went to town on Saturday mom would go get groceries and dad would go to the feed mill, Western Auto and the ice house.Lol

Woolworth had a great toy train area. Electric trains that is. I loved looking at the Tyco train cars all individually boxed with the see-thru sides on the boxes. They had other brands too. After finishing up there I’d head to the pet department and look at fish, hamsters, and birds. Then maybe head back and look at the trains some more. Probably looked at tools some as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post

Last western auto I went in was 16 years ago in Calvert,tx for an emergency box of 12 gauge shells. Sure it's gone now

Comment

Lots of memories on this thread. I'm not positive, but it sure seems like better times back then too.

Comment

I worked Sporting Goods & Automotive for a few years at one of the Super KMarts in S.A. during high school and early college. Decent first job that gave me a lot of people experience but the way they treated employees when they laid them off during the first big round of store closures left a bad taste in my mouth...and for that I'll never set foot in one (in or out of Texas).

Comment

Doug is Trinity not operating their Private school out of the Old Kmart building anymore?

If you can’t find it at Gibson’s you don’t need it

Comment

Working...
                                X