No announcement yet.

PSA: Eye Protection **please read**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive been knifemaking 20-80 hours a week since 2003. Ive had metal pulled out of my eye 2 times. Both times wearing oversized safety glasses over regular glasses. Eye doctor said alot of times the oversized safety glasses funnel the object right into your eye. I now have prescription safety glasses that wrap very tightly around my face.
    Last edited by doublearrow; 07-11-2018, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Prayers for You.

Comment

In the 40+ years I've been machining, I have lost count of how many times my safety glasses have saved my eyes. WEAR EYE PROTECTION!

Comment

Hope you continue to heal up quick! I have worn regular glasses practically my whole life. I never really liked wearing over-sized safety glasses over them because having two sets of lenses distorts my vision. As an alternative I use a flip-up safety visor/shield. It has the additional advantage of protecting your entire face. Comes in especially handy when you are using a wire wheel on a grinder - you don't get those loose wires flying off and pelting your face.

Comment

If there is one thing I learned in 30 years of manufacturing, it is that I only have 1 "safety", and I protect it with everything I have.

I don't let others mess with my "safety" either.

In 30 years of working in a dangerous environment, I only had one work related doctor visit. A punch fractured on a machine and sent a piece of shrapnel that cut through my shirt leaving a puncture wound in my shoulder. Had to get an xray to make sure a piece wasn't imbedded.

Comment

Glad to hear you're alright and thank you very much for the reminder.

Comment

Glad things are better!!

Do you still wear them SG's??

Comment

Glad you're okay, and thanks for the reminder.

Don't forget about lawn equipment -- especially weed eaters, but also mowers. While mowing once, I watched a pebble fly right toward my eye in seeming slow motion -- stopped by my safety glass lens.

Comment

Not sure how I missed the original thread but glad to hear your good. I preach safety daily to my workers as I am a Safety Manager, but I do have to remind myself from time to time while at home to work safely.

Comment

Originally posted by WCB View Post
                      Glad things are better!!

Do you still wear them SG's??
                      Yep, just this past weekend. While mowing, weed eating and sharpening the mower blades

Comment

Great post! As I commercial super I have to watch safety daily. I hate wearing a hard hat and safety glasses, and I’ll admit I’m semi lax on hard hats after ceilings go in!

I walked in on an hvac apprentice cutting stainless with a grinder with no glasses yesterday. I made him and his journeyman stop and put on glasses... I only have 10 fingers and 2 eyes, I try and make sure anyone who works for me leaves my job with the same amount.

Comment

Something reminded me of this thread the other day. Hadn't bumped it in forever.

I pretty much don't even think about my eye anymore, I've gotten so used to it. Only time I notice it is when I take my contact lens out of that eye. I would call it pretty much useless.

Oh I remember what it was. My cousin had VR goggles and had me play a game. When the goggles make you use each eye independently, I can't see crap. I pretty much have to use both eyes now. My left eye is SO much stronger now.

Comment

Good reminder. Thanks for sharing and bumping it back up.

I went on a fishing trip once with a guy that did prosthetic eyes. He said he had job security forever simply from people not wearing safety glasses when they should.

Comment

Ouch!! I must admit, I have been very blessed through the years to not have anything like that happen. I’ve always removed the guard off of power tools, and my father-in-law told me that I was crazy the first time he saw me do it as I get older, I begin to see the need for extra precaution

Comment

Man, good message. Glad you are coping well over the last couple of years. I am doing a full house remodel now—thankfully almost done—and I have a little voice in my head telling me to put the tool down and go get some goggles—even if for one cut.

Comment

Working...
                                X