Underwater Dive Cameras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Underwater Dive Cameras

Looking for first-hand experience with underwater dive cameras. Not just a waterproof camera, but one rated for normal scuba diving depths. Any suggestions?

I've owed and tried several.

1. My Nikonos was okay but since it was film and I was moving to digital, it had to go.

2. Then I had an Ikelite housing for a Canon 20D. That was okay but it was pretty cumbersome. I supposed if you are doing big, deep water stuff it would be okay. For my freshawter dives of ten to twenty feet deep, it was a little much.

3. Them I owned an EWA-Marine housing that fit my Canon 1D Mark IIN. The wasn't so cumbersome but the controls were hard to operate through the bag. It also gave me some fits when it came to my buoyancy but to be fair, it does come with a weight kit you can buy separately.

4. Right now I have a Canon G9 on order and a decicated underwater housing. I think the small size of this camera will be just the ticket for me.

I hope that helps...

Russell

Comment

Thanks, Russell. On the G9, will you be using the camera's internal flash or will you be using a strobe?

Comment

Canon A630. In a Canon housing. You can see a couple pics in the myth thread. Right now I'm shooting just internal flash, but will pick up a strobe when I'm ready to part with the cash.

The Canon housing is cheeper than the Ike housing, but the Ike housing will let you change or add lenses. The Canon you must buy an appaptor.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
          Thanks, Russell. On the G9, will you be using the camera's internal flash or will you be using a strobe?
          Since I do a bunch of shallow, freshwater dives, I won't use a flash and rely on ambient light. However, I am getting a Fantasea strobe to accompany the unit for when I need some light.

Thanks,

Russell
          Last edited by Russell Graves; 04-27-2008, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Thanks to both of you for the tips. I could see that this was going to get real expensive real fast. Considering how much of the expense was in the waterproof housing, I wanted to make sure I got a great camera to go in it. Probably went overboard, but just ordered my mom's Mother's Day present...

Click image for larger version

Name:	CanonG9Underwater.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	23837605

Scuba diving is her passion and I know she'll be absolutely thrilled with this present. Or at least... she dang sure better be!

Thanks again, Russell!
            Last edited by Snakelover; 04-28-2008, 10:41 AM.

Comment

If she doesn't like it then keep it and use it yourself :-)......That's a nice gift for your mother......

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
                If she doesn't like it then keep it and use it yourself :-)......That's a nice gift for your mother......
                Thanks! I know she'll love it. If I ever do any snorkeling or whatever, maybe she'll let me borrow it!

Comment

Well, the mother's day present was a big hit! I got to play with the Canon G9 and take some pictures with it. I was thoroughly impressed! It's a great camera, probably the nicest "point and shoot" I've ever seen. And the picture quality was outstanding.

Comment

Working...
                  X