Protein consumption.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein consumption.

What is a typical amount of protein an adult deer will eat on a daily basis? Free range not penned. Good browse conditions.

2 lbs per deer per day is what I estimate

Comment

How long have the deer been eating protein in the past? Year round or seasonal feeding? Ratio? It can range from 1# to 3#/hd/day IME. Lower at first if they have never eaten protein and more if they have. Body weights and age classes as well rainfall/habitat can effect it greatly. I would figure 2#/hd/day if they have been on feed in the past.

Comment

Excellent browse conditions around 1# a day.

Feedlot type operations probably more like 3#+ a day.

Comment

All depends on how much rain you get...too many variables to make a guess....pasture conditions, rain, etc....

Comment

I did some rough estimating over the last 2 weeks and came up with our deer eating about 1.2 lbs of protein a day. That is with cottonseed in the same feeder pen which they are eating also. Our pasture is super green right now with fresh growth everywhere.

Comment

Around 2lb per deer with cottonseed in the same pens. That's my best guess with approx 20-25 deer a day at each feeder

Comment

Deer typically eat 4lbs of food per day. Not all of that is protein. All depends on nutritional requirements of the animal in relation to the time of year. In a breeder pen, they eat 3lbs of protein and 1lb of alfalfa. On free range, it varies too widely to discuss...

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                  around 2lb per deer with cottonseed in the same pens. That's my best guess with approx 20-25 deer a day at each feeder

Comment

Working...
                  X