Bowstrings and heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bowstrings and heat

This year has been a big one, with a wedding in January, buying a house in April, graduating in May, and going offshore earlier this month. My bow has been neglected, and I shot it for the first time all year yesterday afternoon. It's been out in the garage pretty much all year and the pull felt a little light. I'm assuming prolonged exposure to heat is a bad thing if you're a bowstring? Can I adjust the limbs to get my pull back, or should I just replace the string?

Heat is very bad on strings and even worse on the limbs. Be careful, may want to take to a shop and have it checked.

Comment

Measure your axle to axle. If it has increased then the cables and string needs replacing. Non stretch strings taken care of stretch. That would be my first step.

Comment

whenever you question the integrity of your bow it is best to take it in and let a pro look at it, better safe than sorry, and I always store my bow inside the house just like my guns, it's funny we always think about keeping our guns in environmentally controlled areas but forget we pay as much if not more for our bows

Comment

I've heard and seen too many horror stories of guys with ruined bows because of heat. I would definitely not leave my lost expensive and prized hunting possession to chance.

Comment

Odds are your bow is fine, especially if it was in a case. The draw feels like a lot probably because you haven't drawn your bow in a while. I say wax the strings and start shooting. It will all come back within a couple of days.

Comment

different string compounds react differently to heat. chances are the bow needs some adjustment. if it is not hitting peak weight then the cables will need a little tlc to get back into spec. starting rotation is probably off too, maybe even the draw length. if the threads are over a year old I would go ahead and have them replaced; otherwise, get to a shop an get fixed up. cranking the limbs down to get draw weight back is not the right approach.

Comment

Instead of trusting my off-calibration arms I actually measured the peak pull and apparently I did more heavy lifting offshore than I thought. It didn't get lighter, I just got stronger.

Comment

Working...
                X