No announcement yet.

Stocks with the best dividends?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would buy as much oil stock as possible right now. (Not sure about dividends) but its gonna go back up and there is gonna be some money made.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
      Can you explain what you mean?

Do you mean high dividend but stock may not be stable or dividend may fluctuate? And quality being a stable dividend with the stock price being more steady uprise over years?

You want a high div or a company with a good div with a consistent track record of raising the div. Huge difference.

Comment

Originally posted by ted_kennedys_liver View Post
        I would buy as much oil stock as possible right now. (Not sure about dividends) but its gonna go back up and there is gonna be some money made.

More folks worth listening to talking $40 than $80 right now.

Comment

I am a big fan of XOM and CVX and own a fair amount. Good companies, stable and consistently raising dividend over the last decade (not just a few months) so they would meet the definition of quality. I am not as near term optimistic about share price in the near term. OPEC can hold out a long time to beat down the industry and quash exploration and drilling, so I am prepared to slowly build a larger position while it is ugly, and that could last 18 to 24 months or longer. However, as the price goes down, I get more shares for my buck and a higher dividend percentage. Basically paying me to be patient. Vanguard has some good large cap dividend funds that are well diversified, and capitalize on the theme the OP noted. Not many places in the world to get a good return, so money continues to poor in to large caps in the US. People gotta park their cash, or spend in on cool toys and hunting.

Comment

BP is priced pretty well right now. They will either get their stuff straightened out or they will be bought out. The environment is ripe for M&A activity.

Comment

Originally posted by matchejm View Post
              Look at transocean stock too.
              Also nabors drilling stock

Comment

Look at transocean stock too.
                From what they tell me (transocean is my customer), they're not getting contracts renewed for a lot of their rigs right now. I wouldn't buy their stock, not to mention it's been in free fall since macondo.

Comment

I'm just going to sell some long-term puts on oil if Opec doesn't cut production again. If I can buy oil for less than the cost of the barrel itself, I see that as value. Everything is made of oil...

Comment

Anyone buying these picks? Markets down two days in a row.

Comment

Also nabors drilling stock
                      What????? NBR there is a train wreck

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                        Anyone buying these picks? Markets down two days in a row.
                        What dividend stocks did you wind up buying in December based on the advice on this thread?

Comment

Its just about time to start buying service stocks. Next 30 days or so it looks like.

Comment

I sure wish I would have waited one more week before i put my money in last week. I keep saying surely it can't go down more but it does. Now I'm just hoping for a bottom to put more money in.

Comment

Originally posted by Bear82 View Post
                              I sure wish I would have waited one more week before i put my money in last week. I keep saying surely it can't go down more but it does. Now I'm just hoping for a bottom to put more money in.
                              Same here I am brand new to the whole thing, I bought my first shares of unp a few months ago and has done nothing but go down haha!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                                What dividend stocks did you wind up buying in December based on the advice on this thread?
                                Curious about this too and did it work? Looking at the thread it looks like most suggested buying oil stocks such as XOM so that hasn't worked out well. Integrated oil companies such as CVX, XOM, BP, are all being talked about by the talking heads on CNBC of being at risk of cutting their dividend. If oil continues to drop or stay low, I can understand why they would look at cutting their dividends.

In this market, I would look for companies that don't have a lot of China exposure right now. You may want to look at mortgage REITs. Stocks such as NLY or AGNC are two of the bigger ones in that sector so may offer a little more dividend support than others. There are others but O and NRZ may be worth checking out while you're researching them. mREITs are risky in a slowing economy with the fed talking about raising interest rates. Understand the risks of them before getting into these. If this is an area you are interested in and not sure the risks are for you, check out preferred shares for some mREITs. For example MITT-A preferred are paying a 8.25% coupon quarterly and that yield is safer than MITT's 13% yield on it's common stock. If you have no clue what the difference is talk to a financial advisor or move on to other areas that are more straight forward.

Someone also mentioned the MLPs. That is not a bad suggestion since it's more on the oil storage and transport side. The over supply has to be shipped and stored. These stocks are down with everything else in the energy sector but are making money that will help support dividend payment. ETP is a good example, they just released earnings on Aug and had a surprise to the upside of 39%. From the 5th - 18th it had an ~10% increase but in the last 3 days it has given all that back. I think they have a 8% or more dividend as well.

Or if you just want to chase high yield and don't care about anything else, load up on some PER that is paying over 50% yield.

Comment

Working...
                                X