Which welding helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which welding helmet

I am a back yard welder. I make deer feeders, and different stuff. Maybe on a busy week I will spend a couple hours welding up something. I been using a cheap helmet and continue to have a hard time seeing what I am working on. I need an upgrade but don't what to break the bank. What do you guys recommend?

I got this one and its better than an older Miller helmet I have:

Comment

I got an auto darkening from Northern Tool that has worked well enough for my hobby welding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Also got my mine at NT and basically just picked the one with the fastest shade. I think they make one that is 1/30,000 but they only had the 1/25,000 in stock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

pancake hood with an auto darkening lens

Comment

What’s your price range?

Comment

What’s your price range?
              Hard to say. I want to get what I need but don't want to over pay and get some one that is overkill.

Comment

Anything auto darkening

Forney and Lincoln both make good entry and intermediate level helmets
                Last edited by WalkieTalkie; 04-22-2018, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Okiehunter View Post
                  I am a back yard welder. I make deer feeders, and different stuff. Maybe on a busy week I will spend a couple hours welding up something. I been using a cheap helmet and continue to have a hard time seeing what I am working on. I need an upgrade but don't what to break the bank. What do you guys recommend?
                  I use a standard old fashioned $20 helmet almost everyday. And just change the tinted lens pending the work I'm doing. I bet all you need is to change the dark lenses in your hood to get better visibility. Or the clear lenses. Unless you just want the fact of owning an auto darkening helmet, and the fact that the battery or whole hood will eventually need replacing, then just stick with what ya got. I once bought a $12 helmet at a pawn shop. And there is no telling how much money that hood made me over the years. Still got it here at the house.
                  Lenses come in different shades. The more amperage your running, the darker your gonna need. Lighter amps, lighter shade. You can also get them with different filters like gold and green, pending what's most comfortable for your eyes.

Comment

I have a cheapo auto darkening helmet from Harbor Freight that has been more than fine for my hobby welding.

Comment

Optrel vegaview 2.5 Absolutely love mine.
                      Awesome clarity and color in light mode. Has a big grind mode button on the outside of helmet that's real easy to use with gloves. And probably the lightest hood I've ever used.

Comment

I have a Huntsman that I've had for 35 years. Fiberboard shell, light as a feather.

Hoggslayer

Comment

I just picked up a digital elite by Miller with their new clear light lens technology and the clarity is amazing. It’s more of a blue look over the standard green. I believe Lincoln has some Vikings with the 4c technology that can be pretty affordable, just depends on how big you want your lens size and viewing area.

Comment

had a Kobalt that worked great before I got my Miller

Comment

Which welding helmet

I use a cheapo from Tractor Supply and added a cheater lense. That helped me see things a lot better.

Comment

Working...
                              X