Dairy Farmers, tell me.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TXUSMC View Post
    I’m 37 and know nothing of the Dairy industry. My line of work has been military aviation maintenance for the last 20 years. I have a very rare opportunity to learn the business in hopes of taking over a 1400 cow/800 acre operation in the future. Is this too daunting? I know it’s a massive lifestyle change. At this point in my life, would I be taking on too much? Is the learning curve too steep for a rookie?
    I'm more pleased with you doing your 20 and starting at 17/18.

Thank you for your service.

When you get your DD214 what will you rank out at?

That's a great story because you'll have a pension the rest of your life and most folks our age will still be trying to fund their pension.

Comment

I'll reply on that later

.... going to pull another calf

Comment

Keep your regular job! I don't know how in the world
        Dairy farmers are making in money?

Comment

It’s 7/24/365 job !!!

Comment

I worked in the family Dairy business for three years with my ex in laws. It was just long enough to figure out I did not want to do it for the rest of my life. The amount the Dairy farmers get is atrocious for a gallon of milk. When they raise the price on a gallon of milk everyone throws a fit, but will spend 4 times that for a pint of ice cream.

If you do not have something on the side its almost impossible to make it month to month. We farmed, ran cattle, a operated few oil wells, etc. Last operating Dairy in Bexar county that I know of before they shutdown.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
              my parents live in Washington Parish, LA. (Franklinton). At one time, it was the largest dairy producing Parish in LA. I slowly watched many of the farms being sold and farmers getting out of the industry. 5-6 years ago the dairy co-op shut down and it's an abandoned building
              From what i've read, dairy farming is going to be more difficult due to competition from almond milk, coconut milk and every other type of "milk" you can imagine....

Comment

My cousin and uncle have been in the dairy business since the 60's, they live in Mineola,
                Both seem to be doing fine to me, I guess I'm missing something ?

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                  My cousin and uncle have been in the dairy business since the 60's, they live in Mineola,
                  Both seem to be doing fine to me, I guess I'm missing something ?

My inlaws ran a dairy for more than 30 yrs in Wood County as well. However they went through the buy out back about ten years ago. From what I understand unless you’re milking north of 1000 head on a dry lot you’re probably not making enough to make it worth the effort. Now with even more regulations it may be even tougher.

Also most the dairy’s that are running now were paid for back in the 80’s when there was money to be made. I can’t even imagine how someone would begin to cash roll one now.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                    I'll reply on that later

.... going to pull another calf
                    Lol.... what kind of cattle do you milk? I worked on a jersey farm for about 7 years growing up. It was a great experience but not something I want to for a living. You learn to fix all kinds of stuff. Like being a mechanic, welder, and vet all in one.

Have you tried to sell raw milk to the public? Lots of people going organic and willing to pay top dollar for it.

Comment

$0.88-$1.68

This is when payed in 26 years per gallon from the best of times to worst for grade A, top quality RAW milk

So when milk get over $4.... ain't my fault
                      How is this possible?
                      It probably costs this much just to ship each gallon from farm to big processing plant to store.

Comment

This probably pizzes low fence off to no end.
                        I know it would me.

Comment

You better read Mr. Lowfence posts over and over.

Comment

Just an up to date news clip:

I received a letter from milk company informing us due to projected milk prices there will now be a 24/7 TOLL FREE suicide help hotline we can call... in not making this )&&% up.

Projected sub $14 cwt by spring.... plus an over production penalty that all will see. That's RAW milk.... not whole milk. They still make other products from it before it's bottled "whole"

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                              How is this possible?
                              It probably costs this much just to ship each gallon from farm to big processing plant to store.

... I pay the shipping

Comment

... I pay the shipping
                                I see you're in Quitman, my cousin and uncles have dairies in Quitman? Miniola?
                                Not sure, Robert Langhoff and Roy Langhoff

Comment

Working...
                                X