Well guy/plumber question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well guy/plumber question

We just finished our barndo at the ranch. We are getting Water from our well that we dug to feel are ponds. The pump pushes 30 gallons a minute. We have a valve that closes Water going to ponds and sends it to pressure tank at barndo instead. But every couple or of weeks we are having a brake in the pvc pipe around the T. The pvc is all two in pipe and necks down to 1 in to go to barndo. Anyone have any ideas. Are we having a pressure issue, if so what’s the fix.

ps well is set up to shut off when pressure tank hits 90 psi I believe.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without seeing exactly what you have installed where it's just guessing. There's something applying torque or external pressure to your piping. Whether it's your well piping torquing when the pump starts, the auto valve is torquing it, or critters are using it for a jungle Jim.

Comment

there is not near enough information to help much with this problem. It would seem the pressure tank cut off is much too high for normal use but honestly I don't think that in itself is the reason for the pipe breaks. It sounds like a water hammer from the pump start or stop cycles. not knowing the pipe route we just cant say. have you watched the area of the breaks during the pump cycles?

Comment

Adjust the pressure down to 30-40. If you still have issues replace the problem area with ridged piping galvanized works great

Comment

At 90psi you are way too high for normal use. When you turn the water on, say at a shower or washing machine it is flowing at high speed. When you shut it off quickly you get water hammer from that 8.34lbs/gallon coming to an abrupt stop. Turn your pressure down to 45psi and you will have better luck.

Comment

Install and air injected water bladder.

Comment

If you have a water tank it should have a small fitting on top (think tire valve stem). Check it with a tire gauge. It should be 25-35 lbs. This provides a cushion for the system when water is turned off. Also my pressure settings are on @ 40 lbs.- off @ 60 lbs. Never had any lines, fittings break.

Comment

Is the cut off to the pond at the pump itself? If so, you might try putting one at the farthest end possible. You may not have enough volume in the line to dampen the initial start up of the pump. 90 psi is a touch high for a house. I would try and keep it between 40 to 70 max.

Comment

Ok I had it wrong, partners said he thought pressure tank was 60 pounds not 90. Still sounds we may need to turn it down a little.
                  I dig it up today and a coupling has blown off, didn’t appear that it had been pushed all they way on and glue gave out. Changed out and got it installed correctly. Letting it set up before we turn it on again.
                  If it does it again gonna have to rethink things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X